OMC Cobra 4.3 engine questions

I have a 1990 Fourwinns freedom with a OMC cobra 4.3 engine. Last week I was out on the lake and it began to run really rough and make horrible sounds. I started to head back to the dock when the boat quit movin forward or reverse. The engine itself sounded fine but the upper or lower out of the boat sounded rough. I had to get towed back. I took it to a mecahnic thinking a sheered a pin in the lower end unit, however they are telling me the proble is in the upper gear case they founded some rounded gears. Would this have caused my problem? Any susggestions on what to do? New to boating so not sure what would be the best thing to do. Thanks

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC Cobra 4.3 engine questions

upper gear case they founded some rounded gears. Would this have caused my problem?
Howdy,

LOSS OF OIL to the upper gears.

did someone change the drive oil recently? (like last winter.....or last week)

You will be having the drive replaced or rebuilt. Depending on what condx the boat is in, it may not be worth it.

If it is, you might consider this: http://www.sterndrive.cc/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9D-116&Category_Code=Cobra

sorry about that,

Rick

I had the lower end unit serviced they greesed up and changed out the oil before the summer started

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Was this the same dealer that is checking your drive?

It's very possible that they did not refill the drive with oil properly (or at all:eek:)

If a Cobra is filled like a Mercruiser drive (I.E. from the bottom DRAIN hole) It will destroy the upper gears and bearings due to oil starvation.

If this dealer did the work (Ask them if they filled the drive from the bottom drain port) AND they filled it wrong, they caused this problem.

In either case, you need a "new" drive. (rebuilt, or replacement)

I took it to a diffrent place this time, So i will call and ask hopefully if its there mistake I can get them to fix this expensve problem

180shabah

Rear Admiral

A bad or misadjusted shift cable can eat the upper gear set also.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

A bad or misadjusted shift cable can eat the upper gear set also.
The shift dogs are at the very bottom. An out of adjustment shift cable has nothing to do with the upper gears.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Let me know who is wrong, but I thought the drive is definitely supposed to be filled from the bottom to eliminate air in the drive.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You are wrong. Middle on a Cobra.

shimano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I fill from the bottom on my cobra but I make sure I fill it with the amount in the manual(it's around 1.86litres).

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This is where you fill them. This is from the manual.

oilfill2.jpg

Well this is crazy, the OMC dealership here in wichita When I called and asked he was like hmmm. im not sure I would have to look. He then asked another guy and they said you do it from the bottom. I then did some checking around and called a dealership in KCK and they told me the middle hole. So i called back the guy I had service my lower end this summer and asked how he did it and he stated he filled it up from the bottom to top. I told him that was wrongthat you use the middle and he said hes done 100s from the bottom up that he didnt think there was three holes. I told him I would check and sure enough I have 3 (maybe 4 i see 4 of the same screw.) So i will have to call him back tomorrow and talk with him and take him this diagram (THX for that) and show him. Hopefully he will be paying to fix this problem he created for me......

WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT DIAGRAM SO i CAN PRINT IT OUT FOR HIM?????

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I fill from the bottom on my cobra but I make sure I fill it with the amount in the manual(it's around 1.86litres).

Um,

DO NOT FILL ANY DOG CLUTCH COBRA FROM THE DRAIN PORT! (ever):D

You WILL DESTROY THE DRIVE.

Fill it from the "FILL PORT".

If you do not have an OEM manual, you need one.

Regards,

Rick