Yamaha 2001 100 hp 4 stroke just quit

PDSNIPER

Cadet
Took the boat out for an evening cruise. A couple hours later we were heading back in running 2000 rpm in the pontoon and the motor just shut down completely. Got a tow home and could not even get the trim switch to work but the radio still would play. This morning I checked the 2 fuses on the motor and found the 30 amp fuse blown the 20 amp was good. Went to put new fuse in and it sparked and blew as soon as it touched. I then went under the console and looked for bare, broken or damaged wires. I also checked all the connections I could visually check. I did replace some wires that were in fair condition. I also visually checked the ignition switch and tightened all the connections.

I then tremoved the timing belt cover so I could visually check all the engine wires I could see. I removed the starter connections and cleaned. The fuse blew again even when the accessory wires at the battery were disconnected. Not sure what to do next? Could it be something in the ignition switch itself???? I know something is shorting out somewhere.

timster

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Yamaha 2001 100 hp 4 stroke just quit

I can't remember exactly what the 30 amp fuse goes too but your problem is definitely isolated to the motor and wire harness. It sounds like a short. Could be a melted wire or a shorted out trim solenoid. Lots of things it could be, double check everything under the cowling for anything out of the ordinary.

PDSNIPER

Cadet
Re: Yamaha 2001 100 hp 4 stroke just quit

Checked everything out and believe I have isolated the problem to the RECTIFIER. The charging loop was definetly being grounded. I unplugged the Rectifier from the loop and the starter turned over and the loop was no longer grounded.

Do you think replacing the rectifier will resolve the problem? Is it common for a rectifier to just go bad without any warning. Just asking because electrical parts in most cases cannot be returned. Thanks Much you guys