15-20 year old boats - realistic hours

MI_Boat

Seaman Apprentice
Hi quick question- when looking at used boats, whats a normal/good number of hours per year I should be looking for- or does it matter? Is there a rule of thumb? Should I focus more on the condition and appearance of the boat rather than hours.

The boats I'm looking at are mostly in Ohio and Indy. I've seen some with as many at 1100 hours (1990).

Thanks

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: 15-20 year old boats - realistic hours

for 15-20 years I'd say it doesn't matter; there are more important considerations. "low mileage" is not necessarily a good thing with boat motors especially outboards; they need to be run frequently and at high RPM's. OTOH commercial use can wear out a motor in a year or two. How it's treated when it's not being used (over winter for example) is important.
However a motor in great shape that's been sitting in the back of the shed for 20 years can be a real gem, too.

when you get one that old, count on it having major problems--then you will have budgeted for it, and will be happy when it doesn't happen--every time you use it.

A guide I use is the owner's manual on outboards refers to maintenance at "100 hours/1 year" so I go by 100 hours a year to be expected typical.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

An hour meter on a boat that old means nothing. Too easy to tamper with. Compression check and sea trial will tell you alot more.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

i agree, i wouldnt be that worried about how many hours. with boats that old its all about how it was taken care of.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Current condition means a lot more than how much use it has had. You can find 3 year old boats that have been abused in worse condition than a 30 year old boat that has been taken care of properly.

foodfisher

Captain

PO-little old lady or hot rod go faster?

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

My '91 has about 1100 hours. Runs and looks great. I am fanatical about care and so were the people I bought it from.

CaliCash

Seaman Apprentice

My 1989 Hurricane has 380hrs. But it sat dormant from 2001-2009.

MI_Boat

Seaman Apprentice

My '91 has about 1100 hours. Runs and looks great. I am fanatical about care and so were the people I bought it from.

This is my kind of boat. I'm pretty AR - which is represented by the 1999 Jeep CG that I'll be using as the tow vehicle. I've had people ask me if it's new- which is pretty funny give it's 11 years old.

It's actually somewhat surprising the condition I'm seeing so many boats in. Part of it is the price range I'm looking at i guess.

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Totally depends on the prior owner(s). There are A LOT of people that buy boats, use them pretty extensively the first year or so, then hardly use them at all after that. They just get too busy, or think it's too much of a hassle to take it out and maintain it.

Then there's the fanatic that's out on the water any chance they get. There'll be a huge variance on hours between these two. Like everyone has stated above, you'll need to check other things to know if it's a keeper. I would think you should expect to see at least 800-1200 hours on a boat that old though (assuming it's actually been used).

indy440

Chief Petty Officer

I've got less than 90 hours on my 1993 Larson :D

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

I had a 20 years old boat with 50 hrs. Garage kept, like new condition.

SeanMcl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would think that 25 - 30 engine hours a year would be considered "lightly used". As with all used items, Condition is King.

I am guessing I have the engine running for about 4 hours on a typical day of boating, and I am from a cold climate where you only get 3-4 months of boatable weather. Only getting out 6 -8 days a year isn't uncommon at all up here in Utah, once bad weather is figured in.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Hours only count on the engine...and that doesn't really tell you much....it could show minimal hours, but they could be hours of dragging the lower unit through sand , and ingesting sand until the impeller was chunks of rubber and overheating the engine...just forget about that silly meter and really look at what you are considering to buy. If the boat has nasty vinyl and carpet, guess how much attention was paid to the engine...look at the engine bay , if it is an I/O,and it is filthy , as in 'something leaked' thats a good indicator of how it was mantained...whatever was replaced , only happened AFTER it broke....not after thorough inspections...and thats just the engine...I have just finished removing at my best guess, around 500 lbs of water-logged 'flotation foam ' from the bowels of my boat , EVERYTHING it contacted (wood) was SOAKING wet.....as was the foam...
Each boat is different, it all depends on how it was stored ( indoors vs. outdoors and uncovered)and how it was mantained.Good luck in your search ,and look hard at whatever you see before plunking down any cash....

180shabah

Rear Admiral

My 1989 Hurricane has 380hrs. But it sat dormant from 2001-2009.

Mine was a similar situation - new in 96 - owner passed - wharehouse stored until end of '04 - I purchased in feb '05 with an honest 34 hours.

Just recently turned 100, but very common for an entire day on the water to add less than an hour of RUN time.