1957 Big Twin, no neutral, engine kicks

exodave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Model 25930, 35hp

Just starting on restoring this puppy, picked it up along with a 16' Sportcraft SkiKing and trailer, all for $200, been sitting in a yard for I'm afraid to know how many years. The service manual, and full cadre of tune-up parts (carb, coils, ignition) is on the way. I just installed a new starter and solenoid, and have got her running roughly on the earmuffs with a spray of starter fluid, at a rather high RPM, but even though the shift lever is in Neutral, the prop turns, then every few seconds the engine jolts and the prop flies, and it stalls out or tries to.

Just looking for some forum insight before I dive into the manual when it arrives. My thoughts after a little research is that the shift lever is mal-adjusted. Before getting it running, I did turn the flywheel by hand, and it did turn in reverse while the lever was in reverse, and forward when the lever was in forward.

This is my first outboard motor, after experience restoring a motorcycle '78 Kaw KZ400, so I'm good with small engines, but all this on the lower half is new to me. So I'm open and appreciative of your wisdom!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/exodave/4692204494/in/set-72157624130590169/

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1957 Big Twin, no neutral, engine kicks

Why did you replace the starter and solenoid?:confused:

You definately will want to replace the impeller in that and check the gear case and see the oil is water free. If you see water, then there could be a seal or two gone bad. It sounds like your gears and clutch dog should be looked at, if it is kickin':cool:

exodave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cuz pullin' on it was hurtin' my arm! ;) Years of sitting uncovered in direct sun or something I suppose. And oh man, it is so much nicer having a working starter to do the muscle work while I handle the diagnostics.

Righto, I was expecting an impeller would be in my near future. I'll take a look at the gears... hopefully the manual will help me understand what I'm looking at in there hehe.

exodave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got the lower end off. Gave myself 5 points for breaking 3 of the bolts, turning the wrong way since I was using my left hand (Yes!). So, off to the hardware for 3 new bolts...

So, here's the impeller/pump. Looks good and there wasn't much muck, but I'll stop by my marine store for a new one while I'm out. Someone please give me a hand and tell me, in this pic, is that on backwards, or is it good? I threw it back on for the pic, then realized this piece of info would be useful later.

About the tranny... which I guess I need to get at next. Low and behold, when I stepped out this morning, the prop turns freely and it's apparently in neutral, for once, randomly. I notice as I have the lower end off that when I turn the shaft, the gear case makes some noise. Doesn't feel like much resistance, but my gut feeling is that it should be silent, yeah? I guess I'll see the damage when I get in there.

4692854255_7dc281c6cd_b.jpg

exodave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just removed the drain plug from the gear case, and about 4 tablespoons of watry oil spilled out. uh ohhhhh. Having trouble with the last two screws on either side nearest the prop, to remove the bottom... I guess I'll need a courage drink before breaking out the drill. Bollocks!

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Someone please give me a hand and tell me, in this pic, is that on backwards, or is it good? I threw it back on for the pic, then realized this piece of info would be useful later.]

The drive shaft turns clockwise when viewed from above...so the impeller in on correctly.

Mas

exodave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The gearcase is open. Pics below. Everything seems to work, just dirty. Obviously I need to order a seal kit, and won't be able to confidently get it all back together before the manual gets here. The roller bearing wheel on the left looks ok, but gives more resistance than the one on the right. Maybe just needs cleaned somehow?

Can anyone see anything else that needs attention? Do I need to take these all apart and physically clean every piece before re-assembly? And how hard is it going to be to get the lever lined back up correctly?

I know most of these questions are probably answered in the manual.
4693815404_586b0f654c_b.jpg

4693815632_54c90826e2_b.jpg

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

I do not think it is an issue so much as "dirty" but rather rusty which is bad news for bearings.

Are the bearing and races pitted with rust pockets?

Mas

exodave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

4693462079_599dbf758f_b.jpg

After taking this photo, I blew out as must dust as I could with canned air, then hit it with some WD-40 to test, and it actually spins really well now. Is it junk?

Then, of course, I noticed this little guy
4694077892_4c8a6ecf94_b.jpg

How much is this going to hurt me? What is this?

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

The bearings are toast! They should look like polished chrome. Water was sitting in the case for a long period of time. The C-clip holds together the lower seal assembly on the bottom of the crank shaft. You'll need to pull the powerhead to replace it. Then of course, one thing will lead to another!

Mas

exodave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I replaced a bearing, polished the rest, extensive cleaning, seal kit, and reassembled. Its all good now, on to the carburetor, new thread.