2002 SeaDoo GTI LE bogging down

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
My girlfriend just purchase a pair of 2002 GTI LE sea doo's. We were out on the lake with the kids Sunday and one of them wouldn't accelerate after a bit. It smelled like it was flooded. In fact, you had to hold your thumb on the gas or it wouldn't start. Then, you could go slow but it just wouldn't respond when you gave it throttle. You could hear it periodically try to kick in and go but it never got there. There was also whitish/blueish smoke coming from the exhaust. Last weekend, I was riding it and it would bog down but as long as I let off the gas for a second, it would then kick in and go full speed. What should my next step be? Does it sound like a flooding issue? Thanks in advance, Greg

breenuk

Recruit
Re: 2002 SeaDoo GTI LE bogging down

Start by replacing the spark plugs. And you may need to replace the carb filters.

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

it sounds like you need a carb rebuild. my guess is the needle and seat is work and allowing more fuel into the carb than it should. let me know if you can't do it yourself...I do great carb rebuilds on sea doos using OEM parts...and it'll cost you a LOT less than a dealer. Just ship me the carb, I fully rebuild it, pressure test it, and send it back.

If you can do it yourself or think you can...I'll be glad to help over this forum.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. I'll start with the plugs and carb filters. If that doesn't fix it, I'll proceed with the carb rebuild.

Bigdaddypt, where are you located?

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is SeaFoam a super bad idea for the carb? I've used it in vehicles and run it directly into the carb through the fuel line. I've also used it in a generator with fuel problems. It seems to work well but I don't want to do damage! I am NOT planning on adding it to the fuel. Thanks.

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm located in Massachusetts.

SeaFoam, or any "mechanic in a can" doesn't work. PWC carbs are too small for any of that stuff to work. The only thing other than fuel you should be adding to your fuel system is a stabilizer.

On a seperate note, what color are your fuel lines?

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, Thanks, that's exactly why I asked. I've had some success running it directly into carbs but didn't want to take a chance of the sea-doos since I know very little about them.

One thing I do know, the fuel lines are black. I've read nightmare stories about the old, gray lines.

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, you're not taking a chance on anything other than wasting your money. Carb cleaner is great when you disassemble the carbs, cleaning all the mechanical parts, but it sounds like your issue is with the gaskets, diaphrams, and seals inside the carbs.

You are right...those gray lines are a nightmare.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks again. I'll work on them a little more and let you all know what I come up with and how it works out.

I saw the diagram of the carb/fuel filters but haven't identified these on the actual craft itself. Are these pretty easy to replace? I'm not super familiar with engines but I do simple repairs on my own vehicles; oil, brake pads, power steering pump, alternators etc. Thanks again.

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

there is a fuel/water seperator that is near the gas and oil tanks. the plastic casing unscrews and it pops right off. There is also a small filter inside the carb that you have to remove and disassemble to get at. If you're going to do that, you might as well rebuild it becuase you don't know how the old gaskets, seals and diaphram are going to reseal once removed.

Another thing is that when removing the 4 phillips head screws off the plate to access the filter you must start off with an impact screwdriver as those can be VERY tough to get off by hand and it's easy to strip them.

This video might help you. What he does is NOT a complete rebuild as you need to replace the needles and seats. Also, you NEVER want to use an aftermarket carb rebuild kit as the quality of gaskets, etc are not the same and you can have a nightmare with it afterwards.

http://www.shopsbt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12004

Last edited:

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class

That helps even more. It sounds like a rebuild is in order.

I have seen the oil/water seperator. It looks like a white oil filter you might find on an automobile, right? I guess I'm going to have many more questions closer to the end of the season concerning how to prepare the crafts for winter. I appreciate the link. Great video.

bigdaddypt

Petty Officer 1st Class

you might be thinking of the oil filter. I'm referring to the fuel/water seperator. Follow the fuel line that comes into the carb back towards the tank and you'll see it.