What is this tube and where did it go?

B. Oakley

Cadet
It's a 1990 Mercury HP90. I noticed this tube/hose not connected to anything while on our last trip. If it was cut, it's a clean cut and there isn't the other end of the tube anywhere that I could see. I can't see that it reaches to anything. Is this just supposed to be like that? Seems weird. Normally it's straight up but I bent it down so you can see all of it in the picture. I just never noticed it before (it's a new boat to me).

Attachments

• IMG_2317.jpg
    IMG_2317.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 0

Laddies

Banned
Re: What is this tube and where did it go?

It's for a speedometer pickup

B. Oakley

Cadet

So you're saying it should be hooked up to this? There is already a tube that runs into the boat hooked up to it and I don't see any other places to hook it to it. The speedometer does work.

Attachments

• IMG_2343.jpg
    IMG_2343.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 0

Laddies

Banned

No, when the boat is equipped with a pickup that tube is bent around and the end stuffed back into the outboard in the same area it comes out of.

B. Oakley

Cadet

I see now. Thanks. So if I leave it as is, the worst thing that would happen would be water comes out of it while moving? Not too sure where to bend it around and stuff it back in. There is a hole (just to the right of it in the first picture) that would be the only place it could possibly have been. Not sure what is in that hole though. There isn't any way to stuff it in on the underside down by the 90 degree fitting.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It shouldn't hurt a thing to leave it alone unless its in a position to bind with a moving part.

B. Oakley

Cadet

No, it's not going to get into anything. I just think it's weird in the few months I had the boat, I never noticed it. I may actually just pull the tubing off at the fitting and remove the tube. It kind of bothers me a little having it loose like that. Do you think I could plug it or would it be better left open?

borderboat

Cadet

I asked this question a few weeks ago, however I had no tube and just a fitting. Seems like the previous owner of my boat just ran it with only the fitting and no tube. Pull the tube off and don't worry about it. That fitting produces air pressure which is what your speedo uses to gauge your speed.