Trim and Tilt problem

I have a 1979 Evinrude 100 hp. The tnt will go down when the switch is pressed but will not go up. I took the motor off of a boat and put it on another. In the process I disconnected the wires in the junction box. I did not try the tnt before I removed it from the other boat. I believe I have the wires connected properly. I have tested the tnt motor direct to a battery and it works fine. I have tested the switch on the control handle and it works. I have tested the wires for breaks (ohm meter) and they seem fine. If I bypass the relay (there is one of them) I can run the tnt up. How do I test the relay? What else can I look for as the problem or test. Thanks, John

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Trim and Tilt problem

If you are getting power to the relay when you activate the switch and you can bypass it and the motor goes up, then the relay is bad. Replace it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It's a solenoid and they are relatively easy to replace. See the diagram by clicking the thumbnail. If you cross the red wire and the striped blue wire at the solenoid, the solenoid should activate the trim; if it does not, replace the solenoid.

Attachments

• 1979 PT&T Wiring.JPG
    1979 PT&T Wiring.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1979 PT&T Wiring Control Box.JPG
    1979 PT&T Wiring Control Box.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 0

RRitt

Captain

I have a 1979 Evinrude 100 hp. The tnt will go down when the switch is pressed but will not go up. I took the motor off of a boat and put it on another. In the process I disconnected the wires in the junction box. I did not try the tnt before I removed it from the other boat. I believe I have the wires connected properly. I have tested the tnt motor direct to a battery and it works fine. I have tested the switch on the control handle and it works. I have tested the wires for breaks (ohm meter) and they seem fine. If I bypass the relay (there is one of them) I can run the tnt up. How do I test the relay? What else can I look for as the problem or test. Thanks, John

solenoids and relays are just remote control switches. the dotted blue line in ezeke's drawing is your control feed. When you push the switch on dash the dotted blue wire goes hot and activates the solenoid. The solenoid then throws the switch between positive (red) and motor (blue). Check for 12v control feed reaching solenoid (dotted blue). If good then check if switch is working (solid blue). Remember that the solenoid is an electromagnet. It needs a good ground to pull the switch lever. It is very possible that a good solenoid will act bad because of a bad ground. Other than that it's just a matter of using your probe to track voltages back through the wires.