84' Stratos resurrection***PICS***

lekslk

Seaman
Re: 84' Stratos resurrection***PICS***

I restored a 1987 stratos 181-pro bass boat w/ stringers transom, floors etc. I used flat bars to pry the foam out in chunks followed by a wire brush on grinder. maybe I finally post some finished pictures one of these days.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

well Ive found using a dry wall saw was helpfull removing large chunks of foam then went over the small pieces with my scraper power tool...

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

now I need to know a good way to remove silicone... a rezor blade is scratching my gel coat.

lekslk

Seaman

I use a plastice Ice scraper, & acetone.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

38490_1458917625248_1002607648_31366969_2861002_n.jpg

38490_1458917665249_1002607648_31366970_4595791_n.jpg

started cutting the foam out tonight, so far this has been taking the longest...

Chattan

Recruit

I'm n the middle of defoaming also and have been playing around with different things. I'm liking a brass wire wheel on a drill with shopvac to suck up foam to keep mess down. Was thinking tonight about getting a brass wire wheel for my side grinder. Has anybody tried it?

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

well I didnt try that but I did try a dry wall saw to cut out large chunks then went back with this scraping tool to get the rest off the fiberglass without damaging the glass hull.

jrenneker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah it looks like a pain!! We are in the same boat as of right now.. I will have to post some more pics tonight of my progress so far today.. Good luck and keep posting.. I'm interested to see how yours turns out!

redfury

Commander

is that the Harbor freight version, and how do you like its performance? I had thought about buying the Bosch or Dremel version for $99, but if the blades cut decent and the tool itself isn't any more annoying than the other two, I might consider it.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

It is the Harbor Freight version, and ill say without it, this project would have taken forever to get it this far. The round cutting disc works great, but it dulls relatively fast, Ive gone through 3 blades (@$7s a pop) just to make it this far. I don't know if that's good since I don't know how name brand blades perform cutting glass.

The best feature about it is that its safe to use when cutting stuff attached to the hull. Using a cut off wheel is too dangerous, one small slip and you just cut a hole in the hull.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

I found this information about Plywood that would help anyone doing a restoration. check it out.

http://www.glen-l.com/wood-plywood/wp-faqs.html

Im posting this to help anyone that had the same question as me.

I know I need to use exterior Plywood but didnt realize there where so many different kinds...

concept10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Keep going!! This thread is my inspiration!

J Hartman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yah the gel on the hull has a few gouges but none through the fiberglass...The motor runs, but I dont know how strong till I can take it out. The first 2 things I noticed was the Skeg is tore in half and someone removed the oil injection from the motor. im deffinenitley going to have to replace some parts. I paid $500 for the boat.

If that is the same kind of engine as my XR2, I wouldn't replace the oiler, I would pre-mix the fuel, there is a block off kit, and if already installed i'd leave it in place. the Mikuni oilers weren't exactly reliable. In process of working on a bass boat myself. . . Did you decide to do the floor because of soft spots? Or just redoing it anyways?

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

Yah I actually decided to leave the premix setup it has now, it wasnt till later that I read about the realiability of the oil injection set ups on these motors, but my dads 150 Magnum Mariner oil injection works great....O well.

As for how I started the restoration, Ill show you.

32085_1413519890333_1002607648_31237166_3572303_n.jpg

this pic you can see "the one soft spot" on the deck. well that is like look at the tip of an iceberg, and I knew that, so I wasnt surprised that it was gonna get worse the deeper I went. But im glad I am, since the last bass boat I owned I didnt go the whole 9 yards and was dissapointed by the results. This way ill be happier in the long run.

jrenneker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Everything is looking good Westexas.. Have you figured out what you are going to use for the new stringers? I'm trying to decide what I was going to use. What are your stringers now? 1x or 3/4"?

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

iM USING 3/4" FOR EVERYTHING....DECK, STRINGERS, SUPPORTS, AND JUST GLUE AND LAMINATE 2 PCS TOGETHER FOR MY 1"1/2 TRANSOM. HOPEFULLY I GET MORE DONE TONIGHT AND ILL UPDATE WITH PICS OF PIECES I CUT OUT AND GET READY TO TEST FIT BEFORE GLASSING THEM IN.

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

This part of the job sucks. I just got done with that part and I've moved past destruction and into construction. It gets much more fun from here on out and a lot less itchy! Looks good so far!