almost lost it.

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: almost lost it.

It's not just the high performance boats that lose 'em!
Last winter I was at my marina when they towed in a bass boat that had lost its engne because of a jackplate failure. Both occupants were ejected at high speed but they survived. I heard one guy had some serious injuries. Fortunately there were a lot of other boats out that day because the water was pretty cold.

Here's a shot I took. Notice the engine sitting on the seats:
120609011.jpg

coolguy147

Commander

how did they get the engine on the seats? most of the high performance engines weigh in at over 500 pounds!:eek:

why would a jack plate fail? shouldnt the companys do something about this?

arks

Lieutenant Commander

how did they get the engine on the seats? most of the high performance engines weigh in at over 500 pounds!
We wondered the same thing. A FD boat was on the scene, so maybe they rigged some type of hoist, not sure.

why would a jack plate fail? shouldnt the companys do something about this?

Don't know that one either. I'm just glad they are alright!

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Alright, never buying a jack plate. good to know.

...well maybe for my 1960's motors.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Lot of questions to ask before blaming the jack plates in general.
Was it tight ??
How often was it checked ??
What grade of fasteners ??
Was it rated to take the motor / weight that was on it ??

timster

Seaman Apprentice

Wow, after seeing this if i ever have a jack plate im gonna make sure it's in good working order.

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As a Jack Plate dealer there are indeed many questions to ask before condemning the jack plate and saying "I will never own one".

- Bolting tightness
- Bolt Grade
- Possibly striking a submerged item
- outboard weight
- flex in the transom
- improper installation

The list goes on......

However, in the video there is only one reason this jack plate failed. The jack that was installed on that boat was NOT rated for a 300hp V8 outboard. The jack shown is only rated for a 300hp V6 outboard.

The boat in the video should have been outfitted with a Bob's Machine Extreme Jack plate which is rated for a 300hp V8 outboard.

Then in the picture of the bass boat......

That gentleman hit a submerged piling at full throttle causing the outboard to rip away from the jack plate and slingshot back into the boat severely injuring the driver....in fact he ended up losing a leg. So, it was the drives fault for not knowing the water he was in and not the jack plate.

Everyone can draw a conclusion based on pictures and video alone but before you condemn any product, be it a jack plate or a baby gate, do your homework and get all the facts.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

I second that post by DDrieck. Good one.