Starting inboard on land

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMoNeE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 5.7 350 mercruiser inboard... I am totally new and I want to start the boat before going out to the lake so im not one of those people that sits on the ramp with motor problems. My question is, what is the proper way and what do I need (like muffs but for inboards) so I can do this safely and without damaging the engine or overheating or anything.

the boat is a 91 Sanger DX

Edit: I tried searching, im sure the answer is in these forums but I wasnt sure how to find it, so excuse me if its a common question or a repost

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Starting inboard on land

There is a hose attachment you can get that will allow you to start it on land. Most marine shops carry them or if your not in a hurry you can get one right here on I boats. Kind of looks like a plunger that you attach a hose to.

SoTexGuero

Cadet

You'll absolutely need muffs and let the water flow through the engine prior to starting it. Make sure the trim is "down" to avoid stress on the stern (drive shaft...prop).

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You'll absolutely need muffs and let the water flow through the engine prior to starting it.)
No need to wait because water won't circulate through the engine until you start it.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

No need to wait because water won't circulate through the engine until you start it.

I think that he meant to not start the engine without the water on.

Funny thing is that on my PWC you can never start the water flowing without the engine running...just the opposite of a boat. I have to remind myself of this every time...!

Happy boating!

TMoNeE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You'll absolutely need muffs and let the water flow through the engine prior to starting it. Make sure the trim is "down" to avoid stress on the stern (drive shaft...prop).

Its an inboard direct drive, no trim

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Do you have a thru hull pick up? If so, do you have a strainer? If so, you can simply put a hose in the strainer like this:

DSCF1149.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.