How do I tell what year my new engine is?

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I just picked up a complete engine to replace my sick Mercruiser. How do I tell what year and what the specs are on my new(to me)engine? It has a plate above the starter that says B912002 and on the the valve cover there is a lable that says MCM 350 Magnum and says rated at 270hp. It has a 4bbl quadrajunk on top.

Any ideas on the year? The block number is 14093638 and shows from 87-95, but is there any way to pinpoint the exact year and all?
Thanks guys
John

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: How do I tell what year my new engine is?

I just picked up a complete engine to replace my sick Mercruiser. How do I tell what year and what the specs are on my new(to me)engine? It has a plate above the starter that says B912002 and on the the valve cover there is a lable that says MCM 350 Magnum and says rated at 270hp. It has a 4bbl quadrajunk on top.

Any ideas on the year? The block number is 14093638 and shows from 87-95, but is there any way to pinpoint the exact year and all?
Thanks guys
John
Engine serial number: 0B912002 Engine model number 4350100AS 1988 MERCRUISER MAGNUM W/ PS 350 ALPHA

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Engine serial number: 0B912002 Engine model number 4350100AS 1988 MERCRUISER MAGNUM W/ PS 350 ALPHA

What is that other number you mentioned? Should I be able to find that on the engine someplace?

1988 huh? Well the guy is a complete lyer then, I wonder if its gonna run??

Fun Times

Staff member

What is that other number you mentioned? Should I be able to find that on the engine someplace?

1988 huh? Well the guy is a complete lyer then, I wonder if its gonna run??
The model number is really not that important, just nice to know, Because sometimes when looking up parts from certain places they may list some model numbers next to the engine serial number and it could help narrow down your engine in some cases depending on where you are looking up parts.

No, I don't think you will find that model number on the engine.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The model number is really not that important, just nice to know, Because sometimes when looking up parts from certain places they may list some model numbers next to the engine serial number and it could help narrow down your engine in some cases depending on where you are looking up parts.

No, I don't think you will find that model number on the engine.

Thanks for the info. I am a little nervous now. This moron told me it was a 94 with less than 18 hours. It looks clean inside the valve covers, and the oil seemed clean, but if he lied about the year I wonder what else he lied about.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I am a little nervous now. This moron told me it was a 94 with less than 18 hours.

He did what he was out to do. Sell the engine. 18 hours should have been a big red flag, that's not even broke in yet. for a 94, that is way too low. Probably meant there were only 18 hours on the new hour meter that he installed last year.

Bondo

Staff member

This moron told me it was a 94 with less than 18 hours.

Ayuh,... It's Still a 20 year old motor,...16 years. or 22 years really means Squat....

but if he lied about the year I wonder what else he lied about.

Well,.... You could completely disassemble it, mic it up,+ See,...
Or,...
You can stuff it in the barge,+ Go Boatin'.....

Sounds like Your attitude is Nastier than Mine....:rolleyes:

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well to be honest, he responded to my ad on Craigslist for a Vortec 350 Mercruiser. He said he had one that had been pulled out of a boat at a dealership because they drove a forklift throught the side of the boat and the insurance company wrote it off. He claimed it was a 2002 at the time. When I showed up it was obviously not a Vortec, so had to be older than 96. I talked to the guy at the dealer he claimed he had gotten it from and they confirmed his story, except I forgot to ask the year. I talked to the guy that is helping me do the swap and he said dont worry about it, as long as it looks good it should work. Then the guy tells me he thinks its a 94.

I more or less stopped asking the guy questions at that point and only checked it out. He Obviously didnt know anything about it, or was just a lyer. Either way, from what I have read the Magnum engine has much better internals, so I figured I could salvage it and rebuild it if necessary. I am gonna do a compression test on the stand and if it comes out ok I am gonna put it in and hopefully it is ok. My old engine had good compression though. So who knows. I cant think of what else to do without pulling it all apart, which I dont want to do.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

compression test it on the stand like you said. But also make him run it on blocks on the floor and have a listen to the lower end with a mechanics stethoscope for anything that sounds funky.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

compression test it on the stand like you said. But also make him run it on blocks on the floor and have a listen to the lower end with a mechanics stethoscope for anything that sounds funky.

Too late. Its already in my possession, sitting in my garage. I dont think we can run it very easily. I will see what I can do before we go about installing it.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK well got screwed. Decided to check compression. I have no words that are harsh enough to describe how pi$$ed off I am right now.

I knew I could get screwed when I bought it, but the more I think about it, the more angry I get. I mean, really???? for $500??? Why would you do that to someone??????

Compression is as follows, 120 on 2, 20 on 4, 180 on 6 and 120 on 8. WOW, not even close to what this jerkoff described to me.

Don S

If it's been setting for a couple of years, I would expect the compression to be way off. Bits of rust on valve seats and valve stems and no compression.
Sit it on the floor and start it up for even 15 seconds and I would bet the compression may come around. Have seen it happen too many times.
If it has exhaust manifolds and risers, hook up a hose, a gas tank, hot wire it, start it up and let it run for a bit and clear things up.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If it's been setting for a couple of years, I would expect the compression to be way off. Bits of rust on valve seats and valve stems and no compression.
Sit it on the floor and start it up for even 15 seconds and I would bet the compression may come around. Have seen it happen too many times.
If it has exhaust manifolds and risers, hook up a hose, a gas tank, hot wire it, start it up and let it run for a bit and clear things up.

Do you honestly think so?? With it being 180 on 6 and 20 on 4? could it really be that far off? I have nothing to lose by trying your suggestion I suppose. Other than more time. I have never seen compression be that far off and come back. Maybe a bit off, but not that far. If you all think its worth a try, then I might try it. I am just beat today.

Don S

I had a 305 last year with compression from 0 to 160.
Ran it for 5 minutes and had 140 to 165.
You will never know what yours will be like till you try it.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ah damnit. Well you brought hope to a hopeless situation. I guess I am gonna wire it up tomorrow and see what happens.

Wish me luck. I hate to think I wasted my cash.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Manifolds are off, but I can bolt em up for a quick run. I will see what I can do tomorrow.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK well, the engine runs. I couldnt get the manifolds out of the boat by myself, so I tried to get it wired to run. OK so I got a little excited when it all came together, and fired it right there. It turned over once and bang, it fired right up. Blew out a fire on the odd side, but then it calmed down and seemed to run smooth. I shut it down pretty quick though cause I didnt have it hooked to water. Checked the compression on 4 and now its 0. I guess I made it worse LOL. I have to go to work now, so tomorrow I will hook up the manifolds and water and do it correctly. I honestly didnt expect it to fire so quickly.

Well lets see how tomorrow goes. Wish me luck.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Get water in the motor, let it warm up, then rev he snot out of it.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Get water in the motor, let it warm up, then rev he snot out of it.

That could present some issues. I cant really rev the snot out of it, its sitting on my floor attatched to my hoist.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK ran it for 45 minutes, revving it periodically. Still 0 compression on 4.

I picked up a rebuilt shortblock.

How do I tell if the cam is a marine spec? Is there any markings on it? I just wanna make sure. I can use my cam if necessary, it is like new.