Starcraft Chine Issues

Drews29

Seaman Apprentice
I also have an 18' starcraft holiday that my Dad used years ago and I used for awhile. Anyway, when he was using the boat cracks developed along the chines on both sides and he had to have them heli-arc repaired.

Is this a common problem with starcrafts? anyone else even have a chine split open?

Drews29

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Starcraft Chine Issues

LOL. Having really started browsing this site I figured I'd ask every starcraft related question I ever had. I always wondered about the chine it it was a problem on these boats, or just that particular one. The cracked (and repaired) chine was on the 18' holiday which is mothballed behind my shed. I'm now running the 22 foot islander.

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

My starboard chine is cracked/ split like yours. How was yours repaired and is the repair holding well? I just bought mine and have not had it repaired yet.

Drews29

Seaman Apprentice

My starboard chine is cracked/ split like yours. How was yours repaired and is the repair holding well? I just bought mine and have not had it repaired yet.

My Dad had it heli-arced years ago, then he also added a triangular shaped piece of aluminum bar on the inside and drilled from the outside and then tapped into the bar 1/4-20 threads with stainless bolts. There are about 20 bolts top and bottom along the 1.5 foot long crack. He then used the boat for another 4 years, then it sat for a few years, then I used it for about 3 seasons, now it's parked behind my shed.

I had read somewhere that the compromised chine could have come from the factory in that when they layed and cut the carpet, some workers would just run a razor knive along the edge, accidentally scoring the chine from the inside. Could be. Although I wonder how much the boat flexes at the chine. Cross-wise there's nothing that triagulates the breath of the boat with any strength (ie. at the floorboard level). Hence flexing due to waves would cause the v of the bottom to move upward slightly forcing out the sides and consequently causing that hard bended integral chine to flex and bend in on itself even more, even if ever so slightly.

THoughts?

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Could you post some pics from inside and outside of your repair? I have heard that this is common in the early 1970's boats, but from perusing this forum I did not see that many others are having this problem.

Drews29

Seaman Apprentice

I would but it would take me an hour to get out there and pull the cover off and take pix inside. The boat is really buried way in the back of my yard.

Sorry.

Drews29

Seaman Apprentice

if you have access to a bending brake I would imagine a set of inside and outside patch plates would work too. Stop drill the crack on either end, then apply the plates and drill and rivet. You could probably even use cherry pop rivets. www.aircraftspruce.com carries them. They function similar to regular old home depot pop rivets but are a lot stronger. Also, check for clecos on aircraft spruce. Excellent temporary fasteners for working with sheet metal.

whitvt

Recruit

I am curious how this turned out. My 18'SS has cracks at the rib rivet heads nearest the chine seam. Shows up worst on port side. Near the middle of the boat, at about 4-5 ribs, we have the cracking in the hull. Cracks run fore-aft each about 1.5" total length. I figure it is the hull flexing and the chine being quite stiff concentrates a stress just in from teh chine. Eventually the cracks will join together.

I'll post a photo when I can. I measured the lengths and after this season we'll decide about repairwork.

Drews29

Seaman Apprentice

There seems to be two problems, one being that there's no triagulation support (ie. the floor making the third triangulation leg and the V bottom making the other two), hence the bottom of the boat must flex upward ever so slightly and in the process pushing the sides out, and the second problem being that the flexing bend would then occur and concentrate in that hard chine bend. Was that an intensional design? Ever new boat I see has a seperate chine piece that's riveted on the boat and is not integral to the sides.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I had a 16 Super Sport that had cracked chines on both sides. The fix my local dealer did was to goop in a piece of bend aluminum sheet on the inside of the hull and rivet in place. The crack was about 9-inches long and the patch was about 14-inches. It was my dealer who said this was a problem for several years in the 1970s models and he told me of the carpet knife thing as the cause. Not sure how true it is, but it made sense to me...