1977 Johnson 85 hp 85el77s question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 Johnson 85 hp 85el77s question?

Ezeke thaks for the link....

I purchased all the manuals for my 68' 65 hp and they were a big help.

I changed out the WP, gear case, and ignition system for my 68' so am I looking at something more complex with this motor for similar repairs?

Thanks

Nothing you can't handle. The linkage on the shift rod can be a PITA, but the rest is fairly straightforward. You have to watch the engine wiring and keep it clean and tight. The service manual for 1977 is the best of the series because it's the last.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I was always pretty happy with the fuel usage of my '73 85 as I am of my '81 90. I didn't run WOT all the time but usually at a fast cruising speed. I'd imagine you'd see about the same or better usage as your current motor.

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ez,

thanks for the response and link to the decals.

I checked them out but they appear different from yours in the picture. I would prefer the style that you have. Are there other sellers?

Thanks

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just ran the motor and noticed gearcase oil leaking from prop. Just ordered my pricey service manual today so while I'm waiting does anyone have an idea? I would assume there is a seal or o-ring that needs replacing.

Thanks

GLPmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can anyone point me to the wiring diagram for this motor? I did order a service manual but it's in transit...

Thanks

chrisreyn

Cadet

Thanks...

12 gallons in one hour at full throttle? Is that normal usage for this motor?

Not at all! I have this motor on my 1993 LR22 Pontoon, we can pull two adults on a tube, 6-8 people on the boat fairly well, its got plenty of get-up and go..If I run WOT throttle with the Bimini up, it will tear the cloth off! ( dont ask):facepalm:
At WOT, pulling the tube, we'll go thru 6 gallons of fuel an hour average.
The fuel/oil ratio is 40:1, or 2.6 oz of oil per gallon of gas.
Parts have been easy to find, its my first outboard and its been very forgiving of my mistakes so far.
I have no PTnT, so finding the correct motor angle for the weight load is tricky, mine is also missing the tilt lever, so changing the motor angle means going swimming! LOL but I have been very pleased with it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.