Tilt/trim/steering issue

Bob_Loblaw

Recruit
Hey folks -

I have a 1996 16' Smokercraft with a 1996 90 hp Merc, side console steering (the boat is rated for 90 hp).

My problem is this: Unless I have the motor trimmed way down, the boat "porpoises" badly. And the more I trim it down, it creates a TON of torque on the steering wheel, to the point where if I were to let go of the wheel, it would spin in a very tight turn and probably toss me out of the boat.

Obviously this is a safety concern as well as a performance issue. Any thoughts on what the cause could be? I've tried redistributing weight of the stuff in the boat, and the difference was negligible if any. The trim tab is straight and firmly in place - I know it's not moving around on me.

I bought the boat used this spring. Is it possible the engine isn't mounted correctly i.e. too high or too low? I'm at a loss...thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Tilt/trim/steering issue

Adjust the trim tab in the direction of the pull a little bit at a time until the pull is gone. That is what it is for.

Mi duckdown

Commander

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adjust the trim tab in the direction of the pull a little bit at a time until the pull is gone. That is what it is for. Correct.
There should also be a tension bolt on the upper port side, of the motor just under the clamp of the motor. Yes??. that helps control torque also.
There also may be a tension adjustment knob, just under your steering wheel. Yes/NO/?
1. Start at tab
2.Then motor
3. Than steering wheel adjust, if available.

If all things correct you should be able to run hands off in a straight line, without steering hard at the wheel.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

can you take a pic of your setup with the motor down? sounds like it might be mounted to high or something...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=347549

SAME PROBLEM, SIMILAR ANSWER ,BUT STILL NEED A PIC TO SEE YOUR SETUP

http://www.marinepartsman.com/installing-an-outboard-on-your-boat.html

outboard_mounting_1.gif

fyi I LIKE YOUR USERNAME REFERENCE TO ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT

Bob_Loblaw

Recruit

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I don't think this is something the trim tab will correct, though I will give that a shot. I called a friend who runs an outboard repair shop, and he agreed with the poster that suggested the motor was mounted at the wrong height.

I'll try to get this resolved soon, and I'll be sure to let y'all know what the fix was.