shallow water wakeboat

airdog

Recruit
I am planning to buy a boat for wakeboarding but have some conflicting situations. Half of the year the boat will be in a salt water bay that is only 3 - 5 feet deep. The other half of the year I will be in deep fresh water. Do to the boat being in as low as 3 feet of water, I think my only option for the best wakeboat would be an older V-drive that doesn't draw much or possibly a direct drive which I could add fat sacks to when I a in deeper water.

I found a 2002 Malibu wakesetter VLS (V-drive) that draws 18 inches. I am not sure if it would be dragging the prop into the bottom (mushy sand and some seaweed - no rocks) with this lower draft boat.

The direct drive I was thinking about is a 2001 Nautique which draws 18 inches as well. I am under the impression that a DD will not drop the prop as deep when it pulls up a wakeboarder, but the wake will be pretty small unless I possibly add a wedge to the back...if that is possible.

Does anyone have any helpful ideas?

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: shallow water wakeboat

3-5 feet is pretty shallow for any boat to be taking off in. Its do-able, but gotta remember the back of the boat is going to dip down in the water when you take off to get up on a plane.

I won't bring my boat up on plane unless I am in 8' or deeper water.

If you wanna play in the shallow water, IMO the best safest would be a jet boat, but the wakes aren't very big.

199q

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A "real" wakeboard boat that is either a V drive or an direct drive boat will not do too hot in 3' of water.

maybe a jon boat would be better. I see on some of the wake skate forums that guys are running 16' john boats with 25-35 horse motors. by the way, wakeboarding is dangerous in those shallow waters.

your best bet would be to buy two boats, or possibly a jon boat. A v drive or direct drive boat are much less forgiving from a prop strike than an outboard or sterndrive. and be much more expensive.

<b>3-5 feet is pretty shallow for any boat to be taking off in. Its do-able, but gotta remember the back of the boat is going to dip down in the water when you take off to get up on a plane. </b>

most direct drive or even v drive boats have little to no bow rise. my direct drive has almost no bow rise at all. only with ballast bags it has a bit.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Dude, you can't do what you want to do in that shallow water. You are going to hurt yourself and your boat.

Think about maybe getting a Jet Ski for the shallow water and just enjoy it.

I have taken plenty of crashes head first and extended under the water when the board caught. I am 6' tall and am sure my head was atleast 5' under water depending on the angle I was at. Its happened more than once, and no I was not trying invert tricks.