Aluminum Gas Tank

czettwoch

Recruit
FYI - Aluminum gas tanks do oxidize and will leak over time. We have a '95' 162 Scout sportfish that we use for fly fishing the flats of south shore of LI. Had it hooked up to the truck ready to put it in the water for the year. Something made me check the bilge pumps one last time in the driveway and they did not work. Long story short. The bilge was filled with fuel that ate the pumps and all the fittings on the transit bulk head. Not only would it have sunk but possibly become a roman candle. After finding the problem I had to pull the console and then the tank (wow tight fit) to find pin holes in the tank that turned into 1/4" holes when touched. The tank oxidized only where Scout foamed in the front end of the tank to stop bounce bad design by oem.... Ordered new tank (little shorter for easier install) from RDS in FL and installing today.

Cost of new tank: $389
Cost to ship new tank: $132 ouch
Cost to remove and install tank: lots of cuts, thrown tools and beeps
Cost of catching a stripper in the skinny in a none roman candle boat: priceless

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Aluminum Gas Tank

Wellcraft made the boat I have for 27 years.....and for a vast majority of those years used aluminum tanks foamed in....we like to joke that there are 2 types of V-20 owners...those with new fuel tanks and those that need new fuel tanks.....any water that gets into that foam sits against that aluminum forever and will definitely eat a hole in it over time.....mines not leaking as of yet and I picked up a spare tank from a guy that was parting out his boat...only 3 year old fuel tank....I almost changed it out this spring kind of as a preemptive strike against corrosion but when I saw how tight that damn thing is wedged in there I put it off another season at least.

and dont let you wife know that you are chasing skinny strippers!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Aluminum tanks should never be foamed in or in contact with anything that will trap moisture to the surface of the tank.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just glad I did'nt read about you in the newspaper:)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... After suffering through a few Steel tanks, I thought Alumimun would be Great,....

Wrong....

I'll be using Plastic from now on...;)