Mallory Unilite question ?????

v8power

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1980 Merc 5.7l 260hp v-8. It has been converted from points to a Mallory Unilte. My problem is, at cruising speed of 3000 rpms i get a studder and rpm loss, then it clears up. Sometimes it will do it at wot and other rpm ranges. sometimes it will give a little pop through the carb. Timing is set at 8 degrees, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor look good. This started the second time out this year, first time it ran great. just wondering if this is a fire issue or a fuel issue? Are the Unilites any good or are they junk, ive never dealt with one?

Thanx in advance.

Shamus O'toole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mallory Unilite question ?????

I will tell you my personal feelings towards the Mallory unilite.......absolute junk! I used to be in the high performance industry (before Jegs and Summitt killed the little guy) when the unilite first came out I put one in one of my race cars. If you get one spec of dirt on the eye of the pick up your screwed. I must have replaced that damn eye 3 times before i pulled it out and put an MSD magnetic pick up dis. in.
So in my opinion they are crap!

v8power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the input. All opions welcome here. Ive never dealt with these unilites before, it was in there when i bought the boat. What do you think of the pertronix kit, is it any better?

Shamus O'toole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pertronix is a decent piece and a decent value. I think they make one to replace the pickup in a unilite. Any magnetic pick is better then a unilite.

v8power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My distributor is a original mercruiser part with the mallory installed in it. Does that matter in getting the pertronix kit?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Change the fuel Filters, before you change the distributer... I think it's goin' Lean...

v8power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ordered my new fuel filters from iboats last night. Gonna try that first before I start spending money throwing parts at it.