Wheel Bearing Grease?

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a new Shore lander trailer. I checked the bearing buddies and they need some grease. Anything out there compatible with shore lander grease?
The owners manual said there grease is pretty much compatible with most.
Most of the tubes I looked at said don't mix grease.

OnTheWaterNow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wheel Bearing Grease?

I wouuld just change out the grease now. It doesnt take long and you will have all new dry grease.It is a long summer yet.Then you will know what you can latter add to your bearing buddies.Depending on the size of your tires. grease dosent last long with small tires exposed to water anyway.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You can't mix types of grease. Mix brands of grease all you want. Any marine bearing grease would be OK to use.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Agree with OnTheWaterNow - pull it apart, clean the bearings, repack them with new grease, reassemble. The bearing buddies are really just for occasional use, if they aren't packed solid, the grease doesn't even make it to the inboard bearings. I pull mine apart ever spring, then hit the buddies a couple of times in the summer. Better to spend an hour in the drive way, than several hours on the side of the road.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

If I were you I'd check out the FAQs on the Bearing Buddy web site before I did anything. A couple of things come immediately to mind. First, are you absolutely sure they don't have enough grease? Seems a little odd they would come from the factory that way. They stipulate not to overfill them because too much grease will blow out the inner seal. Second, they recommend changing the grease no more often than every five years (as I recall. Don't take my word for that one though). Click on the link below and do some reading before you get your hands dirty. It will only cost you a little time and may save you some bucks. Good luck.
http://www.bearingbuddy.com/faqs.htm

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

"Most" different brands of marine wheel bearing grease will be compatible with each other, but not all. There indeed are combinations that will turn to liquid when mixed. That's why the suppliers post the warning. Ask me how I know.....LOL.

That said, the last trailer I bought did not come with buddies, so I put them on myself. Getting lazy in my old age and I merely topped them off with what I had, until I repacked them in the fall. All went OK. Unless you are planning a long road trip, I would do the same again. If you have a problem with compatibility, you'll know it in a hurry because the buddies will start leaking - the discharge will look like oil.

JRJ

Commander

I'd check with Shorelander Don't over grease.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I'd check with Shorelander Don't over grease.

Ditto. I directed you to Bearing Buddies, but you should also check with Shorelander. Please do that before you pull the Buddies.