New to me tow vehicle

Topol_86

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys. Bought a '97 Ford explorer today...Fully loaded 5.0L v8 4-door, AWD. Been reading through the posts (did a search for ford explorer with it only searching trailers and towing) Pretty much any topics/posts I came across were regarding the 6 cyl. explorer... I don't own a large boat by any means, 16.5' Terrasyn Panther. I'll attach a photo of my boat behind my buddies '05 2dr Blazer when I first bought it. I know that the explorer will pull it no problem, just wondering if anyone has any info about the vehicle's pros/cons IF i move up to a larger boat sometime before I buy a newer truck. #1 would be add a tranny cooler (it doesn't have a mounted hitch, just the bumper hitch, So I assume it has no aftermarket tranny cooler, just [if it even has this] through rad tranny cooler which will be more than enough to tow my current boat, will be mounting a class III receiver hitch anyways simply because I already have one.) From what I've read the v-8's come paired with a 4R70W transmission which is stronger than the tranny mounted to the 6 cyl version of the explorer. Basically looking for input/experience stories for the vehicle.

Thanks in advance, Topol_86

Attachments

• newboat-05blazer.jpg
    newboat-05blazer.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 0

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: New to me tow vehicle

thats actually AWD and not 4x4? didn't know ford made an AWD truck system that early...

Topol_86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You read correctly. The badge on the front quarter panel reads V-8 AWD. This quote comes from Wikipedia "The Limited was a higher end 4-door. A 210 hp (157 kW) 5.0 L Windsor V8 engine and heavy-duty 4-speed 4R70W transmission were added for 1996, along with a "full time" all-wheel drive system on the Eddie Bauer and Limited in 1997. A more-powerful SOHC 205 hp (153 kW) engine came as an option in 1997 along with an optional 5-speed automatic" I'm going by what i'm reading, I'm actually going to pick up the vehicle in question right now. Keep the posts comin!

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

The wife's car is a 97, 6 cyl... Great suv, 150,000+ and went thru a couple of teenagers. The trans was replaced at about 80,000, but your's is a much better than the 6 cyl. models. Learn to drive a 4x4 in the snow and you will love it. Should pull anything in the it's range just fine.

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't care what anyone says, it's still an "Exploder" and Uhaul won't rent you a trailer if you own one, so I wouldn't tow my boat with it either!!!

stevetedder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't care what anyone says, it's still an "Exploder" and Uhaul won't rent you a trailer if you own one, so I wouldn't tow my boat with it either!!![/QUOTE

Is that just a play on words or is there really something to the "Exploder" thing?

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

People in the vehicle maintenance and repair business have been calling them "Exploders" for a long time. They are the worst SUV's on the road. Been known to have engine problems, suspension problems, tire problems, wrong center of gravity, lowest resale value, etc.....some due to other issues and problems within the same list!

If Uhaul won't rent you a trailer simply because you own one, I wouldn't waste my money!!

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't care what anyone says, it's still an "Exploder" and Uhaul won't rent you a trailer if you own one, so I wouldn't tow my boat with it either!!!

I thought this was only on the independent rear suspension models which are known to be very weak. This is also why most IRS explorers come stock with a smaller reciever.

I have a friend that tows an 18ft bowrider with no problems and has the 2nd gen explorer V-6.

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ford's little solid axle rear end they put under there isn't anything to be proud of behind a V8 motor.....:rolleyes:

Just a ticking timebomb.............

Topol_86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In regards to the U-haul comment...my cousin rented a 26ft U-haul that died in the parking lot he was moving from. A tech came out, jiggled a cable on the fuel pump and it came back to life. We did the same thing 10 times in a normally 15 min drive. Just because U-haul won't rent me a trailer because of it means nothing to me. The "exploder" has 213K on it, which is mid-range for vehicles of it's agae around here. It's 2nd gen with a v-8, and stronger tranny...I don't fore-see any problems with it, and if so, it should be expected as I only paid $700 for it:cool: The vehicle was intentionally bought for the future wife to haul the kids around in, and be a safe vehicle for her and the kids in the winter (we get freak snow-storms that dump up to 2' of snow at a time. Some people will say thats not alot, but when we're used to 6" I beg to differ. And the "exploder" v-8 AWD will fair better than a '93 240sx or a '98 z24 cavalier) furthermore, the "exploder" will tow my boat no-problem, as oposed to either of the forementioned vehicles. I may seem defensive of my new vehicle, but i'm not. I'm FORD BIASED:cool: (LOVE 'EM TILL THE DAY I DIE) [I have no intention of "reselling" this vehicle, we'll drive it to the ground and move onto another Ford]

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

you're probably towing short distances and for a short period of time each year so you will be OK, I'm sure.

$700 is a great price for a Exploder.........LOL

Good luck with your "Future" wife's new ride..........

Topol_86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As a follow up, U-haul won't rent a trailer to an "exploder" for the simple fact of the firestone tire/ford recall incidents in which the drivers over-reacted causing roll-overs. Furthermore is the reccomendation to only inflate the tire to 26psi causing abnormal heat and tire seperation. I read:rolleyes: with a conscientious driver behind the wheel ford wouldn't have had a bad rap for the blowout/roll-over rate.

Topol_86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you're probably towing short distances and for a short period of time each year so you will be OK, I'm sure.

$700 is a great price for a Exploder.........LOL

Good luck with your "Future" wife's new ride..........

Everyday I can get the boat in the drink, it'll be towing it:) and yes, short distance. maybe 10-15 mins to the ramp. My dream rig is an F-350 Superduty 4x4 diesel quad-cab. A 24 yr old can dream can't he?

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

+1 on the center of gravity thing.

Hell, you make a good sharp turn in my ranger and it fells like your going to flip it. (1995)

I owned a 91 explorer (4.0L 4wd) and it felt even worse.

I would get a tranny cooler and a temp gauge. But that just because of my luck with transmissions...

reelfishin

Captain

I've owned two of them, both in that era, both with the 5.0 engine. The engine is the well known and reliable Ford 302, the trans, the 4R70W is the same trans used in the full sized pickups, police cars, Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Town Car. For serious towing, as with any trans, add a good quality trans cooler.
The engine has no issues, the rear axle is an 8.8" Ford rear which is one of the strongest rears out there in that size, also the same differential as the F150.

As far as the rollover issues, Its a 4x4, drive it like one and you'll have no problems. I've currently got a Ranger and full sized Dodge van, take a corner hard in either one of those, and they too would roll over and play dead.

I only sold my last one due to lack of interior room, I'm a big guy and had the chance to buy something larger at the time, plus I had a full sized truck as a company vehicle to use.

I wish I had either one of mine back now, they got decent mileage, in the mid to high teens, and neither one of mine ever gave me a minutes trouble. I sold the first one at 140,000 miles, and the second one at 99,000. Neither one ever had or needed a major repair. I never did consider them serious tow vehicles, but they had no problem towing my boat at that time, a Wellcraft V20, and later a 17' I/O trihull. I'd say the Wellcraft was on the upper end of it's towing limits but I suppose I could have done more to make it a better rounded rig buy getting a better trailer and loosing some tongue weight.

Topol_86

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reelfishin,BigB9000 thanks for the real world experience input. ClassyGlassy, I also thank you for your input, although i'm unsure if you actually owned a ford, or just speaking of stories you heard, either way, i thank you for your input as well. as a following thought....if you're so hung up on u-haul, why not just rent one of their P.O.S trucks to pull your boat? if you wouldn't do that, why care what they'll rent to you to tow something else? some food for thought. My $0.02.

stevetedder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Was just wondering about the exploder thing . I have 3 of them 2 98's and a 99(I like spare parts). All V6's with over 200k on them. There are a couple recalls the originator of this thread should know about though.
1. Wiring harness under hood can cause fire to start at any time, motor running or not.
2. Bolts under seat can give way during an accident
(Free repairs at dealership)
these things being said,I have Invested less than 1200 in each of them and gotten more than 40k each out of them personally.I have pulled a 24 ft pontoon many times(shorter distances 50 miles) and have had no problems. You certainly know the boat is back there but stopping it is more the issue than pulling it. With 4L you can tackle just about any boat ramp.I do agree it feels a little top heavy sometimes but if you drive it like a 4x4 and not a nascar it isnt an issue,and for the prices you can typically buy them for, use'm abuse'm and then keep'm around as a spare. Another .02 from someone that has owned a few "Exploders"

45Auto

Commander

The "Exploder" designation because of the transmission problems is well known and well earned. Two of my friends have each gone through two transmissions in their Explorers before they got rid of them. Hopefully you won't have any problems, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a tow vehicle. If you go to Ford Problems.com (http://www.fordproblems.com/) I believe that Explorer transmission problems are the top complaint by far, and are listed as the most common Ford problem.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a loaded 99 and with 195k on the clock every dang electrical thing in it works, the engine, trans and axles all function normally and the thing just keeps going.
I have it taken all over types of terrain and with General AT2 tyres and it has gone everywhere I have asked it too no problem.
In the snow it begs to go out and play and laughs at 12 inches of snow as it lumbers through it. (With good tyres anyway)

Bulletproof motor
Bulletproof trans
Bullletproof transfer box
Bulletproof axles

I wouldnt trade mine for a neer IRS exploder or a cheap feeling trailblazer trash. Best vehicle I have ever owned and while I love my 03 Cobra, the Exploder with its heated leather and interior room make it a prefered ride for me.

The SOHC V6, the "hot" 5 speed automagic. Yeah I agree Junk I wouldnt recommend to mky worst enemy.
Old cam in block 4.0 and A4LD, seen themn go along time without any problems, just low rent trimmed dogs thats all.

I think my next one will be an Excursion.......:cool:

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We had a 2006 Explorer V-8, with upgraded tow package (bought new). It was a GREAT vehicle and we had absolutely NO problems with it whatsoever and it towed the boat (@5,000 lbs including trailer / gear) withOUT a problem. We put about 70,000 miles on it and had no issues. We just traded it in on a new F-150 and got a great trade-in value for the Explorer. 100% satisfied Ford owner.