non-working gauges

FAJSAM

Seaman Apprentice
Need help in determining potential causes\fix to electronic gauges not working. I have lost the tach, tilt and fuel gauges that all went at the same time and following the replacement of the stereo that is located in the vicinity. The voltage and speedometer are working. I checked all fuses and all are fine. HELP Please

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant
Re: non-working gauges

Speedo is probably water powered, voltage is battery powered. It sounds like a loose wire, or a wire pulled out of it's spade connector on the key switch. (If its in the dash).

If the gauge lights turn on with the key you may be able to get behind and wiggle the wires looking for the gauges to illuminate.

A VOM meter will make this job easier. Got one?

The trim not working may indicate a blown fuse on the motor-side. What kind of boat motor are we talking about here??

FAJSAM

Seaman Apprentice

I do have a meter but not sure exactly what to do with it. The motor is a 4 stroke Yamaha.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I do have a meter but not sure exactly what to do with it. The motor is a 4 stroke Yamaha.
Unfortunately, unless you find a wire that fell off, you are going to need to learn how to use it to fix the problem. See if you can trace the power wire that feeds all of those gauges. Since your voltage gauge works, look for the wire that goes from that gauge to the next closest.

samagy16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You sure your trim gauge was working perfectly before this??

Any chance it could be the ring by the trim sender unit on the outboard??

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

On Yamahas, the yellow wire is "ignition power". There will be 2 in-line fuse holders under your helm, one on the red wire, the other on the yellow. Check them both, and make sure they are plugged in securely...

FAJSAM

Seaman Apprentice

where in the line would the fuses be located... there is quite a bundle of wires and do not immediately see an in-line fuse. I do have illumination of all instruments and get a small movement in the trim indicator when ignition is turned on but not from any of the other dead gauges. If I ran a wire from the working volt gauge to one of the other non-working gauges (yellow wire) would that do any harm? Just a thought. Reading the instructions now on the multimeter. Did not see any loose wires and there is absolutely zero evidence of corrosion under the helm. Appreciate your interest in helping with this problem. Really just want the fuel gauge to work.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

FAJSAM,
Here's what you need to find and check...
DSCF0767.jpg

See the 2 fuse holders to the left in the wire bundle?

FAJSAM

Seaman Apprentice

well they are not present anywhere behind the helm. there is a red wire and yellow wire going into a round grey thingy (sorry) with what appears to have a small resistor attached.

I did check the continuity test and received no resistance from the working gauge to all others does that mean the fuse is o.k.?

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Does any of this look familiar?
YamahaHarness.jpg

FAJSAM

Seaman Apprentice

no... i will take a photo of the mess tomorrow. What are your thoughts on the continuity test?

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

Check the ground wire and make sure the connection is tight and not corroded.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There are a couple of stickies at the very top of this forum that have generic diagrams of console/instrument panel wiring. Every gauge on the panel needs +12 volts, ground, light and the "sender" signal. If one or two gauges fail to operate but others do, then +12 volts. ground, or the sender signal has been lost to that gauge. If the gauges worked before you messed around in the vicinity, that's the logical place to look. Forget fuses. If fuses were involved none of the gauges would work.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Silvertip,
Yamaha Digital gauge wiring is totally different the standard Teleflex/Faria gauge wiring with sender posts and ground posts and 12V posts. It's all plug and play, been that way since Yamaha came out with them. You can't put a meter on the back side of a Yam digital tach, there's no where to put your probes...

That's why I posted that pic of a spare Yam inter-connect harness I have that shows the multiple bullet connectors that all the gauges plug into, as well as the key switch and kill switch. While I do agree about the fuses (although the OP should check the condition of the yellow fuse holder), there are many connections within the Yamaha harnessing that can be compromised, allowing some things to work, and others not.

It's not just a matter of putting a meter on some termination studs. If you're familiar with Yam digital gauges, you start with black and yellow, and see where you lose or don't have power. Then restore it. But if you're not familiar? it can be a rat's nest under there...

FAJSAM

Seaman Apprentice

new development.... the trim gauge turned out to be a broken plastic bracket at the motor. Could this indicate I have individual issue with the others? Still have no tach and no fuel gauge. Tach is stuck at 1K rmp reading. Is there a way to test the senders?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Missed the "digital" part of this discussion. Sorry.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

gauges are Faria and not digital.

Well NOW you tell us...put a meter on the 12V+ lead on the tach with the ign key in the "run" position. See if you 12V. Most gauges are wired such that the ign power goes to the tach first, then daisy-chains to the other gauges. Chances are the needle will drop to zero if you apply 12V+ to the I post...

Also check your grounds, make sure they are tight...

Report back.