How to install boat motor and all contols 50hp force!

levi_plummer

Cadet
Hey guys, As you can tell i am new to the Forum but i have been a forum Member before. I have recently traded and got a 14-18 ft speed boat (I am not sure of size without the title around) it has a 50hp Force motor that came on it when i got it. The motor was off of a pontoon boat. needs a keyway put in the flywheel which i have already figured out how to do but other than that i am clueless. The motor is just sitting on the end of the boat now. It needs all electrical cable's hooked up and fuel lines ran and the throttle cable hooked up. Can anyone give me any insight on how to do this? Any and all information will be appreciated. Thanks to all! i am getting realy anxious to get this boat on the water. I will post pictures shortly and give more information on the motor and boat when i wake up in the morning because i know all the information i give can help. Thanks!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to install boat motor and all contols 50hp force!

Welcome to iboats levi.

The motor needs to be bolted thru the transom.
The bolt holes need to be sealed with a semi flexible marine sealant.
The motor should be mounted at a height that has the antiventilation plate even with the bottom of the boat.

The flywheel nut needs to be torqued down to spec, or it will break the first time you rev it up.

levi_plummer

Cadet

Do you know the torque down specs for the flywheel?
Also is it very hard to wire up the boat or preaty simple?
Thanks!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If the motor is 1994 or older, flywheel torque is 80 ft/pounds

If it is 1995 or newer, 125 ft/pounds

Wiring and istall isn't too bed if all the parts are there.
Can be time consuming, but not difficult.

You have a wiring harness, a steering cable, throttle cable, and shift cable that attach at both the motor and the helm.

You have 2 battery cables that attach to the motor.

You have an ignition switch and kill switch at the helm.

Best to get a repair manual with the wiring diagrams.
A Clymer repair manual has good diagrams.

The wire colors and functions changed several times over the years, that why you need the manual with the diagrams that match your motor.

levi_plummer

Cadet

I seen something on the boat motor thatt said 1975 on a bracket of some sort. And there a bunch of wires on one side and on the side of the engine it has all of the wires labeled that go into a bracket of some sort and then there are more screw terminals on the sides that have more screw terminals with nothing hooked up in them which is where I suppose I do the wiring at. I understand how most of that goes. I got the steering cable
hooked up. But the throttle and transmission cables are not. I am currently
wanting to put a different hand control on it to be a little more modern. I am thinking it should be a little easier than I expected. Next is how do you hook up the fuel lines?

Also is it hard to change the prop on it?

I realy appreciate your help with this. I will deffinatly
look into getting that clymer manual too

levi_plummer

Cadet

Any and all insight is appreciated guys! Thanks!!

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Help us help you.

take the cowl off the motor.
Just infront of the carb. There should be a metal plate
should look similar to this:
http://gallery.computervitals.com/main.php?cmd=imageview&var1=Chrysler55/101_0157.jpg

get us the model and serial.

As for your prop. Is there a cone with a cotter pin in it? If there is, remove the cotter pin, unscrew the cone, Pull propeller off.

Fuel lines. should be a fuel line hook up right side of engine near the rear. But may depend on year. You can run your fuel line right up to this.

If it's an older out board and you think its a 75,
take a look at this pic
http://gallery.computervitals.com/main.php?cmd=imageview&var1=Chrysler55/101_0146.jpg
the cables will connect near the fuel pump toward the rear. They are just snap ons. Then mid way where the gear selector is they will screw down with the hold downs. Same for thorttle.

levi_plummer

Cadet

Hey guys the model number is 507fsa and the serial number is 2575. I get more and more helpful information every time I look on hear..

Also can anyone tell me requirement while on the water hear in kentucky? Like lifejackets, prety much the requierments. Thanks!

imported_rick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I couldn't find anything on model number 507FSA, but I did find 507F5A is a 1985.

levi_plummer

Cadet

How many bolts should be holding the motor on the boat? I know there are the two things that hook over the boat like a clamp and then do I use two more bolt's that go through the hull? Where could I get those bolt's? Are they special or can I go to fastenall or tractor supply.. Thanks!

levi_plummer

Cadet

I also found a sensor on the motor that looked off the top of it and judging by where the wire goes from the sensor to the location stated above I think it is a coolant sensor. Can anyone give me some insight as to where I could find one of those sensors? Thanks!

levi_plummer

Cadet

Hey guys, is there any more useful input out there?