New gas tank or tank sealing product

Ebola

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1998 Starcraft 1810GT with a fiberglass floor. It doesn't look like it can be separated from the boat and I have a leaking gas tank. Is there a product that is good at sealing plastic tanks? If that's not a good option, how might I go about removing the floor to get the tank out? Cut around the tank or remove the whole floor? Patch it up with fiberglass matte? Thanks in advance.

E

IMG_2585.jpg

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: New gas tank or tank sealing product

If I was going to remove any part of the floor for any reason to repair the tank, I would replace the tank with the best one I could find

Or there may be a few people I craigslist that might take it off your hands

I am being facetious about craigslist

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ordinarilly, I'd say seal it as I have had good luck with sealing several tanks - however, sealing requires rotating the tank continuously for about 15 minutes to ensure adequate and even coating. That's going to be difficult to do in your case.

Ebola

Seaman Apprentice

I'd have to agree with you there Jon. Maybe I can get a really long paintbrush if i can find the spot and do it that way.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

I'd have to agree with you there Jon. Maybe I can get a really long paintbrush if i can find the spot and do it that way.

I would guess that if you have a corrosion type hole in your tank there will be more. Also, in order to patch the hole from inside you will still have to do a lot of prep to the locations surface which would most likely require removing all of the fuel and the debris that naturally accumulates on the bottom of the tank.

The process of rotating the tank continuously for about 15 minutes to ensure adequate and even coating is actually making a contiguous coat to prevent the fuel from getting under the coating.

Ebola

Seaman Apprentice

Does anyone have any suggestions on what types of tools to use and where to cut the floor?

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

I would take it to a boat shop, ask for an estimate, ask exactly what will they be doing as far as removing and installing the tank through the floor, then how will they repair the floor and what kind of warranty I would get.

In that way you may get an idea what is involved

Another option is topside tanks, do you have enough room to install a pair of tanks

http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Gas-Tank...9117430--**********.176897483--view_id.497979

Ebola

Seaman Apprentice

I could probably fit a few top side fuel tanks, but would not want to go that route. It would probably mess up the boat's geometry with 20 some gallons of fuel sitting in a different spot. I was hoping I would get the info I needed here, or some place on the internet and not have to take it to a boat shop.

Ebola

Seaman Apprentice

I didn't see anything about changing out the tank. Just replacing a plywood floor.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

I suspect it is pretty much what you will be doing to replace your tank- to take out the tank and put it back will require the floor to be replaced

you might want to take this to Boat Restoration and Building you may find a lot of posts regarding replacement, removal, repair of tanks and floors after you rip it up

http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Ebola

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I'll do that. And thanks for the replies. they are appreciated.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

deakling with a gasoline tank in a boat, I wouldn't try a do it yourself patch, for reasons ranging from safety to insuring stuff doesn't get in the engine.