finaly got pics/ my 84' Conroy X17

BG BOATER

Seaman Apprentice
Re: finaly got pics/ my 84' Conroy X17

Nice boat. Looks like you got one of those fixer uppers like I have. Keep the pics coming. I would like to see how it's going.

myx17

Cadet

I plan on taking pics of everything as I go along. Thank god I have a understanding wife :) Thanks to all that have helped so much already !!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

What are your plans for the motor/drive?

myx17

Cadet

As it stands right now I might rebuild the motor and drive. I have a automotive degree, and think I could tackle the job. :) If all else fails I would like to find a 4.3 v6 to put in it with a hydraulic lift instead of this motor and gear setup it has now (which is broke).

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I just asked because I can see you have an old OMC stringer drive in there which I have heard is difficult and expensive to get parts for. It is also a unique setup so it's not an easy swap for another brand. Not to be a downer but unless this is your ideal hull, you may be better off looking for another boat to restore that has a Mercruiser/Volvo drivetrain.

myx17

Cadet

I found the parts I need to fix the lift on it. One of the local guys found the gears I need and the gaskets. Said he would sell it to me for 200.00 Sounds like a good deal to me, lol

captmello

Captain

Nice little boat, bad sterndrive. I wouldn't put a dime into it.:(

Sorry.

myx17

Cadet

Would it better to just buy a new/used outdrive that will match that engine. It seems to be a pretty common engine at least. Or just get a new engine/ outdrive setup ? Thanks for the advice, please keep it coming.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A stringer drive is completely different than any other set up so doing a swap would involve some fabrication. I'm an outboard guy though so I don't know the specifics. You may want to throw a post up in the I/O repair section and ask what would be involved with swapping out a stringer drive to a Merc or Volvo.

captmello

Captain

The only way to do it is to repower with a different drivetrain. You can't just swap outdrives. Also the hole in your transom would need to be resized for a smaller hole. Its a lot of work and money but can be done.:)

I guess you have to ask yourself if its worth it. You can buy a working boat for less than it will cost to fix that one up.

It is a nice looking hull, just has a few strikes against it, unfortunately.

If you decide to fix it up, you've come to the right website.:)

myx17

Cadet

I did some research, and as of right now I'm just going to fix the lift on the outdrive and go from there. I really like the boat its self. If it starts to give me too much of a hassle, Ill probably just get a different boat :) Guess we will see, and I will keep you guys posted. Thanks again for all the advice and help !!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

No problem and believe me, we here at iboats will fully support whatever decision you make :) We just wanted to make sure you went into it with your eyes open. Good luck with your project!

myx17

Cadet

Thank you ezmobee !! I have found soooo much help in here already. I will keep you guys posted with info and pics as I go along.

captmello

Captain

No problem and believe me, we here at iboats will fully support whatever decision you make :) We just wanted to make sure you went into it with your eyes open. Good luck with your project!

You bet!!

Post your outdrive questions in the I/O forum. There are some great OMC guys over there that can help you with your outdrive.

myx17

Cadet

I will definitely do that for the OMC stuff. Just to give you guys a update. My buddy and I where working on the engine yesterday, and did a full tuneup and all. Once we where done, we took the fuel line off the tank and put it in a 5gal gas tank for fresh fuel. It fired right up and runs great !!! Getting the gears for the lift in a few weeks and should have that fixed soon as well. Will put some more pics up soon. Thanks again to all.