trailer

thenovascotian

Seaman Apprentice
where my boat rides on my trailer the wheel has worn through the paint and gelcoat down to the glass.Is this ok or will water pass through the glass?should i fix it?or will it be ok till fall?

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: trailer

This is wrong

You need to take the trailer to a boat trailer repair, the wheels should not touch any part of the boat

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Which wheel on the trailer are you referring to? If it's rubbing on the hull you may have a greater issue than the gel coat that needs attention. Can you post some pics?

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

By "wheel" are you referring to the tire that the trailer rolls on!!?? :eek:

Please tell me you're referring to a locked up wobble roller.

thenovascotian

Seaman Apprentice

i didn't mean the trailer wheels i meant the loading wheels for the boat to load and ride on when loading it.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

May be time to replace the rollers, they shouldn't ware like that unless they are old and getting hard or just not rolling anymore and you are dragging the boat over them

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

i didn't mean the trailer wheels i meant the loading wheels for the boat to load and ride on when loading it.

Phew!!! :D I thought your boat was sitting on the trailer tire for a second there.

OK, it sounds like you have wobble rollers like these:

http://www.iboats.com/SeaSense-Wobb...2546391--**********.503815143--view_id.341850

Are yours black by chance? If so, they're notorious for marking up the hull, and its' most likely not wearing off the gelcoat, just marring it. When the boat is on the trailer, check the rollers to see if they are warping or cracking at all. If they are, it's time to replace them. If it's particularly hard to get the boat to roll of when launching, this is likely your problem. When the boat is off the trailer, check all the rollers to make sure they spin free as well. It's most likely time for you to replace them all.

I did not see these on Iboats store at all, but personally I prefer this style and recently switched out mine to them. They are solid PVC centers that wont warp or crack over time. They also will not mark up your hull at all.

http://www.easternmarine.com/YATES-5-x-3-Molded-Wobble-Roller-1-3/16-ID-for-1-1/8-shaft-500YW-9P/

If replacing them, make sure you order the right size rollers for the right size shaft.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

the black rollers are harder than the yellow... I would be interesed in knowing if he is talking about the washers on either side of the rollers cutting into the hull...

If the rollers are junk, not rolling, lost a washer and now they are off set.. it can do some serious damage with the weight of the boat on a metal washer..

if it were me.. I would use jack stands to take the boat part way off the trailer and inspect how deep.. i would then make a repair to keep it from taking water. Then take the boat to the water and tie her up... pull the trailer and start replacing rollers...

just my 2 cents..

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

In this case-pictures would be awesome

thenovascotian

Seaman Apprentice

its not the washers cutting in and the rollers are all in tact it just looks like the roller has chaffed through the paint over the years.Its a old boat 80 to be exact.

Alumarine

Captain

It must be bouncing or rubbing some way.
You should try and fit the trailer to the boat better. Or tie it down.
My boat boat is a 74 and no trailer part has rubbed through.

To answer your question - yes water will get in.
It will weep in and cause a trouble.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

you know what it might be?... i saw this on my boat over time..

if your boat has bottom paint.. (speaking for my boat)... i noticed the roller marks on the boat.. what it ended up being is the paint was flaking off leaving the rollers tread marks so it appears that the rollers are alomost leaving their print into the boat but what it actually was doing was taking the mutiple layers of bottom paint off..
over the years i had built up layers instead of taking each layer off each year.. so once she started flacking and leaving the roller marks you could see an almost exact indent that looks like the roller is doing damage but in fact was nothing but some bottom paint layers coming off in the same pattern as where the rollers rolled on the bottom..

this is what you might be seeing if its 80 and has been painted a lot..

pictures would definitely help ease your pain

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

if your boat has bottom paint.. (speaking for my boat)... i noticed the roller marks on the boat.. what it ended up being is the paint was flaking off leaving the rollers tread marks so it appears that the rollers are alomost leaving their print into the boat but what it actually was doing was taking the mutiple layers of bottom paint off..
over the years i had built up layers instead of taking each layer off each year.. so once she started flacking and leaving the roller marks you could see an almost exact indent that looks like the roller is doing damage but in fact was nothing but some bottom paint layers coming off in the same pattern as where the rollers rolled on the bottom..

I agree. If he is certain it's not the washer cutting into the hull, then I highly doubt the gelcoat is being worn away. Either there is bottom paint that is getting marked up and worn or the rollers are leaving marks on the gelcoat.

thenovascotian

Seaman Apprentice

It has definately worn through the gelcoat and paint.I can see the origanal fiberglass and you can feel that the spot is lower than the area around it.I would post some pics but the wife dropped the camera and it is out of comission.I was just wondering if water will seep past this and some stated that it will so i am going to put some fiberglass over it and start tying the boat down better in the front from now on.

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

It has definately worn through the gelcoat and paint.I can see the origanal fiberglass and you can feel that the spot is lower than the area around it.I would post some pics but the wife dropped the camera and it is out of comission.I was just wondering if water will seep past this and some stated that it will so i am going to put some fiberglass over it and start tying the boat down better in the front from now on.

If that's the case I'd be more worried if water has already intruded in the hull. Is there a soft spot around the abrasion? Also, it may not be that the boat needs to be tied down better on the trailer. I mean, was it bouncing around on the trailer? That sounds unlikely, especially if the issue is up on the bow. I would hate to see you fix it, only to have to problem show up again. Sounds like those rollers need more inspection.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Might want to change over to bunks - relocate the rollers or maybe both

always bothered me to see boats supported by rollers, even if done right there is a lot of concentrated weight on each roller, eventually something has to give.

Done wrong will only speed the process

IMHO

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

your water question is only relevant if the spot is below the water line...is it?

secondly, like most guys here, I have never seen a roller rub down gelgoat and eventually fiberglass unless there was a roller issue that caused it. the only other thing I can think of is if when you put the boat on and off the trailer, you maybe were not centered properly and the boat sat odd on one of the rollers..??? that would certainly put more pressure on one spot than evenly across the 30 or so rollers you might have..

if the break is down to fiberglass and its lower that the rest, my opinion is that roller, for whatever reason is excerting more pressure on that spot...the bigger question is why? again, is the boat centered and on the trailer properly? is it kicked or leaning in one direction?..are the swivels on the rest of the trailer stuck so the boat is leaned?..etc..

I would determine if the break is above or below the water line..then act accordingly.. patch or, if accessible from the inside see if its come through, if any water is already present...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

migth have hit a sharp object and left a gouge that coincides with roller placement.

I had an inside washer fail on wobblies, so the roller slid down the shaft and the end of the roller axle gouged the bottom on launching, and retrieving, but the sneaky rascal rolled up into place so you didn't know. When I discovered the gouges (luckily not all the way through) I had no choice but to dunk the trailer and float the boat off. Only time in 15 years that the axle got wet!

thenovascotian

Seaman Apprentice

well i went out and looked at trailer and noticed that the roller had moved on its bracket.So the boat was never sitting on the trailer straight.and the roller wasn't rolling so i jacked up the boat and adjusted the roller but god knows how long it has been like that,i just bought the boat 2 weeks ago.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I just have to know , why anyone would use bottom paint on a boat that spends 90% of it's life on a trailer??? :confused: