Need help my 1996 200 missfire.

vdimenna

Seaman
Been going in circles with this thing.
It's a 1996 200hp carb'd Johnson.

It's been having this missfire between 2k and 3k RPM.
I disassembled all the carbs and cleaned them, fresh gas and spark plugs.
Did a lynch and sync as well.

Took it for a ride and still missfiring in that range.

Did a crank test on the primary side of the coil (wire coming from the power pack) and read around 130 volts. Tried the same test while it was running and was showing 10 or 20 volts. Is this test even valid using a mutli-meter or do I need to do it with that adapter to measure peak voltage?

I tested the charge coils (using the brown wires) and the readings are as follows
900 Ohms on the starboard side.
950 Ohms on the port side (according to the book this is out of range by 15 Ohms).

I also did a crank test with the charge coil and it would bounce from open to 130 volts.
Again I'm not sure if this test is valid with a standard multi-meter.

The charge coil did not have continuity to ground.

Any help would be great.

-Vic.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: Need help my 1996 200 missfire.

you need to order yourself a DVA adapter..google it. the test you refereed to require it.
CDI electronics has a great trouble shooting guide in the support section of their site. also if you look up you specific part on their site and download the install sheet it has specific test. Sounds like a bad plug or coil to me, also could be water in fuel, also check timing. get a spark gap tester from local auto parts store. and check engine compression. I have a 95 150 that is basically the same as your motor and will be happy to try to answer any questions.

SparkieBoat

Captain

by the way I am not talking about OHM testing, you should set your multi meter to DC volts, and test the brown wires while cranking with plugs out. do not ground to engine, probes should be on the 2 brown wires coming from stator. should be at least 150 V check both sides. I still think its coils or spark plug..what plugs are you using??

vdimenna

Seaman

The plugs are QL77JC4, Thought I might have a cracked plug so I changed them again. They didn't look fouled either.

I did do the test you speak of. It seemed like the meter would oscillate between open circuit and 150V as it cranked. I will confirm this again tonight.

I have a water separator, which looks clean.

I will get the adapter you speak of.

Thanks
Vic

SparkieBoat

Captain

you cannot preform the test with out the DVA adapter..So I am not sure what you are trying without it..OHM test is not for checking voltage so I am not sure what you have been doing, I hope you haven't ruined your multi meter, or shorted out your electronics. Those are the correct plugs.

daselbee

Commander

I am bumping this so it will show up in my replies...so I can watch this one.

PM me with your phone number, and we can discuss it. I will let you know all that I have done with the exact same problem and motor.

vdimenna

Seaman

The adapter is on the way. I will keep you updated.

Thanks Again
Victor.

SparkieBoat

Captain

while you are awaiting the adapter pick up a spark gap tester from your local auto parts store and see what cylinders are firing and which ones are not..this will go a long way to figuring out your problem. these are 2 tools you will use often..

vdimenna

Seaman

I just want to say thanks for all the help. I was able to figure it out.

Purchased a DVA got it out on the water and made it miss. I probed the primary lead on the coils and caught the low voltage reading on one cylinder. Put my old OEM power pack on and I'm back in business.

Now for a little belly aching...

I rebuilt the power head two seasons ago and thought it would be a good thing to replace all the electrical components while I had it apart. This is the second CDI component I had to replace, in as many seasons. Last season it was the regulator and now the power pack. If they have 70 hours on them, that would be alot. I'm slowly putting all my old OEM parts back on. Now all that's left is the timer base and the stator.

Does anyone have these sorts of problems with CDI stuff or has it been just me?

-Vic

SparkieBoat

Captain

CDI seems to do ok for me...did you check to see if anything was under warranty?? they also have a good support staff, and will try to help you out, give them a call and let them know what has happened.

daselbee

Commander

I could be way wrong here, but I heard somewhere that CDI is making all the electrical parts for BRP now. So, if you order a BRP/Evinrude part, you get a part that was made by CDI.

Don't know for sure.

vdimenna

Seaman

I can't seem to get through. I filled out an RMA form online and called the number on the form as well.
No one is answering or returning my call.

SparkieBoat

Captain

they got back to me pretty quickly, by e-mail and did return my calls same day..once you get them they really try to help you out, at least they did for me.

vdimenna

Seaman

They called back today. Pack is on the way back to them.
We'll see what happens.