1993 150 Johnson 60*

James R

Commander
My Fuel pump is suspect. Can anyone tell me if the Pump replacement kit 438406 will replace it.
Thanks.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1993 150 Johnson 60*

this should be the part number for you 5007420...there is also a rebuild kit for the fuel side of the pump. if you are already premixing or will premix you can use it and plug off the oil inlet.. found here http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcvro.html
here is a non - vro fuel pump for your motor, it has no oil side only fuel pump so you will have to premix. http://www.dixiemarinesales.com/detail.aspx?ID=2

James R

Commander

Thanks for the response Sparkieboat.
The part # that I specified is available at a good price. I have a bunch of part numbers that will fit but Listed prices don't cut it.
Running 50:1 mix.

SparkieBoat

Captain

the rebuild kit is $135..you can also run 2 of the old style fuel pumps, they are about $100 each and will require some retro fitting with bracket and hoses, but can be done.

James R

Commander

An assembly drawing for this late model VRO would be very helpful in determining if it is correctly assembled.
Does anyone have one?

James R

Commander

That's what I'm talking about!
Looks like the 'O' ring may be missing unless the drawing is different to my 1993 model.
Thanks a bunch Sparkieboat.

James R

Commander

Sorry to say but this pump is still an issue. The maxrules drawing shows a large "o" ring. but there is not one in this pump. Thought I would check with my dealer and he showed me there isn't one in the fuel repair repair kit. This pump looks as though it seals on the diaphragm edge.
I bought a used pump complete with bracket and all, supposedly from a 150 but it has differences. Yes it uses a big 'O' ring but the pump cavity is larger in diameter. It takes the same size diaphragm and has a wide groove to accept the 'O' ring.
I think my original pump does not use the 'O' ring.
The purchased pump has bolt on fuel connections. The original has molded connections.
The bolt on fuel out connection is broken. If I can identify that part I will replace it to have a back up pump. Any thoughts on this?
I think the maxrules kit refers to pre 1993 models, the type that is smaller and fits into the metal bracket by the side of the carbs.
So at this point still no further forward.

SparkieBoat

Captain

there was some changes in the VRO pumps, I am not sure what years the changes took place or what the changes were. But if you want to be sure it will work you will have to break down and get a new pump I guess..the new ones are supposed to be a better design, but who knows..I put a brand new 5007422
on my 1995 150 rude and it works great, been on less than a year though.

James R

Commander

Thanks Sparkieboat.
I have one more possibility. As luck would have it I have a running 150 1993 motor on a boat parked outside. I rebuilt this one and put it on a 16ft Cobia. I will pull this pump and look at it.
The wife says the Cobia rig is too fast for her so I must sell it.
I have recently rebuilt the motor in question and it is fitted to a 17ft Nitro. Maybe it will be a little slower. Yeh right. Got to get this pump problem solved before it goes anywhere.
Will let you all know.

James R

Commander

Pulled the pump from the Cobia motor and fitted it to the Nitro motor.
Motor would not start. Could hear the enrich sol actuating but I pulled one of the output hoses off and sure enough no fuel. Turned it on to straight thru and got a little more fuel. Knowing that the pump is a working pump I replaced the enrich unit with one I had. Lots of fuel, motor fired up and Idled well. Seems to be running rich, lots of smoke. Occasionally loads up and spits extra smoke. The enrich unit is not leaking thru. Checked that.
I will take her to the lake and give her a run. Remember I have rebuilt this motor so I expect her to take a little time to settle down. Running on 32:1. In my experience 25:1 oils these up.
Any other thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

SparkieBoat

Captain

sounds like you are ready..make sure none of your carbs are flooding..

James R

Commander

I have rebuilt all the carbs and there is no sign of flooding. Of course there is always the unknown. Will give her a try anyway. Thanks for your support. Will let you know how it goes.
Hopefully all this will be useful to others also.
Will reassemble the other pump with new parts and fit it to the Cobia motor and see what we get.
Thanks again.

SparkieBoat

Captain

I have never used the VRO pump rebuild kit..i am interested to know how well it works..so any insight you can provide would be appreciated.