Holley Carburetor Question

sbachus

Recruit
This is my first attempt to rebuild a carburetor. Its for a 5.0L 302 Omc I ordered the rebuild kit, can someone tell me what im looking at in the pics attached. The boat would run WOT and all the sudden loose power, like it was starving for fuel. Thankyou in advance for your time

Attachments

• carbapart.jpg
    carbapart.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 0

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Holley Carburetor Question

The piece on the left is the main body. the one on the right is the metering block. that little round thing in the metering block with the corrosion on it is the power valve.

What else you need to know?

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

One really, really corroded carb. That'll take some serious cleanup to potentially work properly again. You may want to check with local machine shops, see what they'd charge to hot-tank it. Even after that it may take time to clear some of the passages with a small wire, carb cleaner, and compressed air.

sbachus

Recruit

JT and Bifflefan Thank you for responding. Your advice is greatly appreciated

Bifflefan

Commander

You may want to check with local machine shops, see what they'd charge to hot-tank it.

Yea,,, you can't "Hot Tank" aluminum. it will disappear in the soup. use carb dip, (aka cold parts cleaner).
And by the way, that is not really bad looking. I've done alot of them way worse off, and had good results with most of them.

The most important part is the air bypass'. If they are plugged (and they are very small and get plugged easy) then you will have issues.
Soak it in a can of carb dip over night then wash with water then soak it again for a couple hours then wash with water again. It should be fine. Dont dip any plastic parts and remember what hole the accelerater pump screws are in when you remove them and put them back in the same holes.
They are real easy carbs to rebuild.

Modifying them is a different story, So DONT! :D

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

I'd suggest a remanufactured unit. That one looks in pretty bad shape.