Pulling tubes with cleats?

Texasbikers

Cadet
I have a 2005 24' Ebbtide Funcruiser deckboat. We like to pull 2 or 3 tubes with the kids.

It has a stainless steel bar with a single tow hook on the stern. There isn't a way to mount additional tow hooks on the stern.

The boat has very heavy retractable stainless steel cleats on the stern corners. I looked at the backside, they have a large square area of reinforcement behind each cleat.

Do you think these would be strong enough to pull a tube? The kids would be under 150 lbs in the tube.

Good idea or bad idea? Thanks.

mycirus

Cadet
Re: Pulling tubes with cleats?

Connect both to the same tow hook. I would not go 3 tubes but with small kids you may be alright. I would not go to the cleats.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

last summer I towed an 18' bass boat at 20 mph for several miles off of a cleat so I don't see a tube as a problem but I don't have retractibles.... I'm not sure if I would trust them or not

D

DJ

NO, NO, NO!!!!!

Tubes can put TREMENDOUS pressures on ropes and attachments. I've seen them pull lifting and towing eyes out.

Not only can it damage the boat but that cleat becomes a heavy metal missile when it detaches itself from the boat.

Doug N.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree with the above there is alot of stored energy in tow ropes! There is a navy training film that discusses mooring lines and shows how a guy got his legs cut off when a line parted. Granted that was a mooring line for a big ship, but the theory is the same. A flying cleat could do some damage.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I've towed tubers from the stern cleats without any issue at all. Not even spiderwebbing of the gelcoat. But I also create a "V" from both cleats to a single tow line so that may reduce the stress enough. Also, I don't have pop-up cleats. That may be the difference altogether.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

So what would you recommend people do? I only have cleats and no specific area to tow skiers with?

D

DJ

Define "Cleats".

The "rings" on the transom are NOT cleats. Those are towing/lifting rings. If they are properly installed, they are designed to handle those loads.

"Cleats" are the hardware, typically installed on decks to hold docking lines, etc. They are NOT meant for lifting or towing.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Why not use the stern eyes. I have never seen a smaller boat without them.

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have been using cleats for careful towing for more than 10 years. the cleats on my lowly bayliner 2655 have more backing than the ski ring on my caravelle ski boat,so i use two cleats with a bridle for towing kids on a tube. light duty really. but yesterday i pulled a carver 32 aftcabin off a sand bar and a half mile at hull speed. same setup,long bridle, his anchor rope as primary; no cracking groaning or excitement. i wouldnt pull anything fast, but i certainly pull tubes.

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have towed skiers on cleats with no problems before, but with the tal of them becoming missiles I would recommend tying a rope from one to the other or to another support so that if it does give, i think unlikely, u would hear it break off and it would not have shot off the boat. just check them often if u use them for towing, i have also seen a lot of guys here towing from cleats. actually i have seen very few boats here with special towing equipment. including mine built without towing points.

Just a plug question here, Y is it considered out of place to ask a question that is within topic and inline with the thread, instead of starting a new thread on the same exact topic. actually I would start a new thread with this one and see what others think.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I think this depends ALOT on the individual boat..... I have seen cleats rip out that were simply attached with screws.... On my Carver they are bolted through 1/2" thick fiberglass with backing plates.... they would have to rip a huge hole to come out and infact when the boat was recovered after sinking before I owned it they lifted it by the stern cleats while partially full of water... they bent one of them pretty bad but it didn't pull out....

My cleats would snap the tow line long before they would tear out but there are surely many that aren't even secure enough to use for mooring as they are intended

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

the OP said they were reinforced (hopefully with backing plates)... I've towed more things off the cleats than I can count. Many, many tubes, double skiers, quad skiiers (2 off each cleat) Probably have done 4 tubes at one point even. The cleats have always proven stronger than the rope.

Texasbikers

Cadet

Hi, well I towed one tube per cleat for about 2 full hours total. No damage, no cracking etc.... The cleats do have serious reinforcement behind them.

Thanks for all the opinions, for now I'm towing off the cleats!

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have towed tubers on stern cleats for about 15 years on a boat form 1984. What i suggest in your case however is to run a run between the 2 cleats, and run it trough the loop in the tow rope. So the tow rope is attached to the line that is suspended between the 2 cleats. This equalizes the pressure and makes it much safer. You will be fine.

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

I have towed tubers on stern cleats for about 15 years on a boat form 1984. What i suggest in your case however is to run a run between the 2 cleats, and run it trough the loop in the tow rope. So the tow rope is attached to the line that is suspended between the 2 cleats. This equalizes the pressure and makes it much safer. You will be fine.

If you're going to use a bridle (which is the right way to do this), why not use a proper tow rope bridle and attach it to the D rings on the stern? The cleats on most runabouts were never designed to be subject to this kind of load. Obviously boat size plays a very large factor in whether or not the stern cleats can withstand towing loads.

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ohh...sorry.. i misunderstood..I didn't realize u were towing three tubes at once. ok, so, Why don't you just buy a "Triangular" type tube that fits all three kids, like this one: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=347361&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10123&subdeptNum=12452&classNum=12458
I don't think its safe to tow 3 tubes at once anyway..
I know some of these are crazily expensive.. but just a thought.