72 - 74 Evinrude Electronic Shifting

vinniekolb1

Recruit
I am looking at 72 -74 Crestliner that has a 100 hp Evinrude outboard attached. Seller says that it runs fine, but there is a problem with the electronics that shift the motor from Forward, Neutral, and Reverse. This being the case, he says that he is able to "hotwire" it so I can see it run. I have never seen or heard of electronic shifting on a marine motor. Is he correct with what he is telling me and if so, what kind of money would it take to correct the issue and can a guy do it himself?

Thx for all help supplied.

Andy in NY

Commander
Re: 72 - 74 Evinrude Electronic Shifting

I am looking at 72 -74 Crestliner that has a 100 hp Evinrude outboard attached. Seller says that it runs fine, but there is a problem with the electronics that shift the motor from Forward, Neutral, and Reverse. This being the case, he says that he is able to "hotwire" it so I can see it run. I have never seen or heard of electronic shifting on a marine motor. Is he correct with what he is telling me and if so, what kind of money would it take to correct the issue and can a guy do it himself?

electric shifts can be easy or not so easy... i sold a 55 horse johnson that was stuck in forward. the guy i sold it to said it was the micro switches in the controls and cost him less than 50 bucks to fix.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 72 - 74 Evinrude Electronic Shifting

Well, tell ya what...not knowing the year of the motor, all I can say is that there were two types of electric shift. One has electric clutches in the lower unit and the other is called Hydro-Electric, which is shifted hydraulically, but has an electric switch to opreate the hydraulic flow control valve. 1972 was the last year for any electric shift.

Possible repair costs?? The sky is the limit. The switch in the remote control is getting hard to find and can cost as much as $400 for a new one. The two types have different look-alike switches. And if the problem is in the lower unit, dig for some more major money.