Best year inline 6 90 hp to buy?

sturgeon

Cadet
I want to get an inline 6 90hp, but I want to know what are the best model years in terms of most advanced electronics, other parts, etc to look for. I am not in a hurry so I can take my time to find what I want?

Which was more reliable and easier on gas, the 90 or 115? Best year for that model?

Thanks

emckelvy

Commander
Re: Best year inline 6 90 hp to buy?

Any model built in the 80's will fit your requirements. A 115 will naturally use more fuel than a 90 hp. The difference in hp will be more noticable at higher speeds than lower.

About mid-80's Merc changed the power ratings from crankshaft to prop. So, the 140 became the new 115, the old 115 became the new 90. A mid-80's 90 hp will have the same power characteristics and fuel consumption as an older 115.

Around '78-'79 Merc built a 90HP Six that was crank-rated. This was a 115 with small ports & different tuning. Very torquey but not a revver. Probably the most economical of the later Merc I-6's. This would be a great motor on a lighter hull.

There's virtually no diff in reliability between the various HP models. Of course, a lower-hp motor will be less-stressed and may ultimately have a longer life.

Trouble spots for the later models revolve mostly around the electronics; stators and switchboxes were prone to failure. Any bad elex. parts are easily replaced and if you use CDI Marine aftermarket parts, virtually bulletproof.

It's also important to keep up on maintenance like impellers, fuel pump diaphragms & carb floats (ethanol fuels eat up the old stuff), and tuning/synchronization is crucial. All basic items for any motor, really.

But these are great-running motors with a unique look and sound that's mostly missing in newer motors.

Look for a clean motor that appears well-maintained. Get a compression check (or leakdown test, even better), and if you can, run it on a boat.

You'll know right away a good motor from a bad one. It should start right up, idle well in gear, accelerate smoothly, and not make any nasty sounds while underway.

Only the sweet music that a Tower of Power can make!

HTH & G'luck with the I-6 hunt...........ed

ejthomp

Seaman Apprentice

Interesting......

I just purchased a boat with a 1985 Mercury 90 hp Inline 6. Carbs rebuilt (due to boat sitting for years unused), new water pump, new plugs and I just replaced the stator and now this motor purrs... It does have a unique look and sound! Perfect compression..125,126 etc.. And the motor actually has good paint too.

When I purchased this boat, I kind of figured I would be wanting to get a new 4-stroke soon.. This post makes me wonder.

1) What is this motor worth if I would still want to upgrade to a 4-stroke?
2) Why do people still want this old of an outboard?

I haven't even had the chance to take this boat out on the water yet (project boat). Maybe I will fall in love with this motor...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

1982 was the year Mercury started proprating the inline sixes. The 140 became the 115 and the old 115 became the 90 story is not exactly true. Going back a bit further in time to 1977 when the I6 was rated @ 150 hp. In 1978 Merc introduced a 150hp V6. Instead of also having a 150hp I6 in the lineup Merc just renamed the I6 as a 140hp. There were no changes o the engine. However in 1982 the new 115 was different from the 1981 140. One of the biggest difference were the reed blocks. The 140s had 10 reeds per cylinder while the new 115 had 9 per cylinder. The rpm ranges imply that redecaling wasn't what happened, 1981 140; 5300 - 5800, 1982 - 1986 115; 5000 - 5500. The 90hp all years 4500 - 5000