I'm an owner! 1975 Islander 22

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: I'm an owner! 1975 Islander 22

Thanks Jas - exactly what I needed. Gonna go print those pictures out to bring with me tonight.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

To pull my transom wood out, I used a Flatbed Truck type Tie Down Hook on a heavy chain, with a Fork truck, it lifted right out !!!!.

PS.. I would seriously think about using CPES on the Floor and Transom. Wont crack from walking on it like epoxy coatings as it soaks INTO the wood.. doesn't just sit on top. and if you drill a hole ( which you'll need to do for screws as the wood becomes even stonger !!!! ) you dont have to seal it over with epoxy.

CPES by Rotdoctor, I beleive in the product, and when I do my floor and cabin seating, I'll use CPES on them too.. so far I just used it on the Transom, and the core I took out from where the gimbal housing goes, almost sounds like China when you hit it !!!

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

by the way, when I shot the transom with some Mercruiser Black Spray Paint, it didn't take much to cover, as it didn't soak in.

I used a 2qt kit on the transom ( 50/50 mix ) 1qt per side, i think it soaked in as much as it could, but may have taken more..

Lay flat, pour in the middle or around anyway you want, work to the edges, brush some on the edges.

paparoof

CPES looks like an interesting product. But I was thinking I want to fiberglass the floors to add rigidity. I'm using 1/2" ply for the floors like the original wood and I'm a... well let's just say I'm a "big fella". I want the floor to be very solid under foot. So I suppose the idea here would be to soak the floor panels in CPES, THEN glass/epoxy over the top? Or do you think just soaking them in CPES would add the rigidity I'm looking for?

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like good stuff, but FWIW, if you thin your epoxy resin a bunch with xylene, it will also soak right into the wood....after 2 coats, there's a noticeable increase in stiffness of panels and no buildup on the surface.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

I'm a "big" buy too.. 6' 4" WPTH 400. and I would crack the fiberglass looking at it.. and I think it's sacriligious to even THINK about putting glass on a tin can.. fact I may have to report you for posting it..

:)

I hear ya, 1/2" aint much, but.. that's what was in my boat and when it's all bolted up ( which I'm gonna use Flat Head Trailer Screws like on a Skimobile trailer) for my floor.

anyway, 1/2" aint much, and I'm telling ya, the wood becomes SO Hard, that I broke screw heads AND electric screw driver TIPS !!! putting screws into the transom, ya..

I'm serious.

At least think about getting a 2qt kit, and coating a board with some..

If I had some I'd send it.. all i have is the core from the transom, that I'm saving to show off.

I'm a have to show me, touch it, even when I see it I dont beleive, it.

My Grandfather taught me a little about wood working (1% of what he knew), the transom when it was soft was easily deflected, I've tried to "flex it" but shouldering it, given it a kick.. pulling on it, nothing.

If I had to pull a larger boat, I wouldn't worry at all.. at least once I put a 4"x6" plate behind the nuts on the inside of the transom just to increase the surface area of the D-RINGs to eliminate ANY Pullthrough

FINAL: If you want to CPES the floor Transom, then cover the Floor with epoxy to do a non-slip.. I am sure you'll have WAY Better adhesion of the epoxy and longer lasting results.

paparoof

Went over tonight to start removing stuff from the transom. But before I did that, I siphoned out the last couple gallons from the port fuel tank so I could finally turn it upside down to see what how bad the rust stains were. You be the judge (please).

Here's the tank:
tank1_1.jpg

Here's the little foil stats sticker which is completely unreadable (maybe you can make something out of this):
tank1_2.jpg

I actually gasped out loud when I saw the underside:
tank1_3.jpg

So.... what do I do about this? How do I clean this up enough to find out if this is just surface/cosmetic rust or if this is actually compromising the integrity of the tank?

fshngho

Lieutenant

Papa, I would use a wire wheel on a drill. Go over the bad areas real good and if there are any holes you hsould see them. Then plug the inlet holes and put some compressed air into it to see if it leaks. You could just fill it with water and set it on cardboard, that would show leaks too. If there are any you could try JB Weld. Good Luck.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Although ugly, that looks like surface rust to me. Not much worse than the tank I pulled out of mine (mine was above deck though). I got rid of mine and replaced it with a plastic tank but I really didn't need to at all.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

Hows the inside ? my 2 tanks had some rust inside, causing plugged fuel filters and poor performance, one had a bolt and some welding for a hole plug. I ditched them and put in a under floor tank.

If you do decide to keep it if the inside is OK.. and you want to stop the rust, I'd recommend PUR15, I used it on my truck fuel tank that was very rusty, it became a strong coating that stops the rust.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Rust-Preventive-Paint/products/1/

PS.. USE GLOVES!!! It's not that it's nasty stuff, just it sticks to anything it touches.

paparoof

Well the tank is going to sit and wait cause my plywood came in already! Ordered it yesterday and they told me it should be here by August 5th. Then I got an email at 6:30 this morning saying to come pick it up! Woohoo!

Now I just gotta figure out how to get it home. Do I buy a trailer? Do I test the strength of my roof rack? Do I make two trips? Oh the decisions never end!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Where did it come into? If Lowes/HD you simply rent their truck for a couple bucks. If not, you buy something there and still rent their truck :D

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

marine ply is heavy stuff....i would NOt try it on a highlander rack, at least not in 1 trip. you could always tow the boat over there and toss it in the back......;)

paparoof

You guys are SUPPOSED to be pushing me towards buying a utility trailer....

Actually this morning I measured the hatch opening in the back of the Highlander and the ply will fit inside. It'll have to sit on top of the wheel wells and stick out two feet, but that's not a problem.

Dangit. I wanted a trailer. :mad:

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

i don't think you should haul it inside that way, you'll scuff up the interior and your vehicle will be worth less at selling time.

i'm trying to help......:cool:

hey, what's that....a Harbor Fright sale flyer.......:p:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I see 4'x8' trailers a bunch on clist for $350 to $500 range in good shape.

I have a 4'x8' and a 6'x16' and they are used constantly!:D:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

As for that tank...

Hmmmmmmm...

Maybe knock off some of that rust and see what it looks like from there, eh.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Same brand of tank I had, Miramax. Mine rusted through the bottom. Fill it with water to check it out. Leave some water in it (if it doesn't leak) and then wire wheel the bottom. I don't mess with friction or fire on a gas tank unless it has water in it.:eek: Prime and paint.:)

You need the trailer!