I'm an owner! 1975 Islander 22

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: I'm an owner! 1975 Islander 22

I put my inline 6 into my boat without any lifting device, I had a house deck that was 6'6" we put the the short block " without cylinder head" on the deck and slid it into the boat on a 2"x6" or 2"x8" Plank. then moved it around by hand.

You may still get the engine fixed, but the engine needs to be removed from the boat, so you can remove the oil pan and get at the crank shaft.

a 4 cyl block without the head i think weight about 150lbs, if you can take the intake/exh manifold off, the head off you can then muscle the short block onto the boat deck, flip it over, unbolt the crank and you'd be about 50lbs lighter.

Also think about if you know someone that has a Fork Truck

and If you remove the tires from the trailer, you can more easily use a Rented or Borrowed Engine hoist.

Maybe ask a local auto repair place to remove the engine, bring it with everything ready to go (hoses, wires etc, detached).

then put the engine into the back of your vehicle...

??? Some ideas. I know if I was there i'd be able to free up the pistons.
but if severly rusted, the block needs to be removed from the boat.

good luck.

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I went to the motor guy to get the boat back today. Motor guy says pull the motor myself and bring each separate piece to him one by one to get 'em cleaned up and rebuilt and I put it back together and back in the boat myself and I should be lookin at about $1500.

Brought it to its new home and took a ton of pictures. Wanna see the motor all torn apart?

The full album:
http://www.paparoof.com/photos/v/starcraft/day12/

Here are some teasers:
20100609_sort_202206.JPG

20100609_sort_202242.JPG

20100609_sort_201531.JPG

20100609_sort_204253.JPG

sprintst

Commander

Nice collection of pics. Nice to see that you got it all torn down and shipped out.

I'm sure the rebuilder will be able to do wonders. You might want to look up the part number on that carb and start googling it. I'm not sure what the innards are like but mine needed replacing.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

PAPAROOF I sure would want to start with a better looking block than what I see. I know what I would do if I was keeping the boat. I would have a stern drive bracket built .You could install it on your boat and look for a decent 150 Motor. Look at all the space you could use and enjoy. You see these big boats all the time now with a stern bracket and up to 3 - 300 hp motors on them. The coast Guard and most F-G departments now use Aluminum hulls with big O/B on them. My concern would be even with that mess rebuilt how solid will it be? and you still have a very old Outdrive to worry about. IMHO replace it with another unit or convert it to a O/B. My choice Convert it.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

PAPAROOF ! Some day soon I will give you a PM with the story about my LAST I/O I had every thing replaced by me then overheating and another $3500 from a Marina and stilll had a problem. Sold the 19 ft Glasply Hard Top for 1/3 of what I had in it. Never again will I get a I/O unless it is new and fuel injected.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Website please. I really need a cover too.

Well, they actually don't have web sales yet (oddly enough) but I am sure you could just call the store and have them ship one if you wanted to.

I picked up mine for pretty cheap, maybe $100ish on sale, and it came with a three year warranty. The material seams very durable, for $100 anyway. It doesn't fit the Islander perfect (directly below the windshield) but I bet other models would go just fine. The smaller models go $10 less incrementally by sizes.

P1000778.jpg

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Get thos pistons soaking in some penetrating oil. It might take a week to free them up.

Thanks Jasoutside.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

That block isn't bad. the engine shop should

Dissemble the crank ( or you keeping rod caps with same rod )
remove cam & lifters,
remove crank, oil pump etc..
remove crank & rod bearings

"Hot tanking" the block and head and/or bead blasting the head,
will clean them up nicely..

might be able to hone the cyls and just go with new rings, but may need to go oversize on the pistons ( same as small block GM ), new main & rod bearings, good idea to put in a new oil pump to..

Valve job on the head, maybe a light milling

should be good to go !!!

If my engine was junk and I didn't cut the hole in my new transom I probably would've used the 150 Merc I had.

DarrinT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Buying a donor boat was the way I went.

Bought a 71 larson 140 merc for $750 CDN

Good motor and outdrive, new tilt rams - major osmosis all over the beaten up hull

Scavenged $2000 worth of parts off her so far for my Islander and probably have another $1000 in parts I could sell

I am reasonably handy but not a mechanic and did the engine swap at a buddies farm using his bucket on a mid size tractor that could not reach over the transom - just backed her up to a small depression beside his driveway and reached in from there

DucatiDave

Seaman Apprentice

Hey paparoof,

What a tale of woe and intrigue (to quote the Tappet Brothers)! Never a dull moment in this project.

With known-to-be-running used 165's available for $500 or so, I'd be tempted to go that route. Swapping the whole lump shouldn't be too bad, labor-wise. Could probably get it on the lake this year yet.

Then keep the original motor and rebuild it as a separate project! Can never have too many projects going on. Just ask my wife! ... Wait, better not.

Hang in there bud. We're all pulling for you and eager to help out.

Dave

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Papa, just went through your pics, and I'm still saying you got a good deal.

If it were me I'd start disassembling and tanking the block, manifold, etc. Prep them for rebuild or resale. All the while keeping an eye out for a glass donor boat with an I-4, Alpha 1 (or MR) that has a rotten floor, transom, and delaminating gel coat. They are out there.

It will all work out, you've got a great foundation there to start with.

TS

-

paparoof

I put a tarp over her today.

nowback

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As long as the crank isnt rusted I would look for a rebuild kit min 1st over
safer to go 2nd over then you know what you have.
I am quite sure the head is a easy fix might need a few intake valves
as they will be rusted on top,, they are cheap though, a little valve lapping and its good to go.
on the other hand I think there are a couple complete engines with manifold, carb and everything on ebay that might be close to where you live...
then you are ready to go right away..
a newer 4.3 v6 would be nice too...
I sure hope i can find a deal like this some day...
matt

paparoof

Yep, I've seen those two already, but I appreciate your looking out for me ;)

I just emailed this guy:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/boa/1783722074.html

At the same time, I oiled up the current motor pretty good now that the head and manifold are off. I haven't given up on it yet. I'm gonna let 'er soak a few days then go back and see what wipes off. Better go buy a few dozen new t-shirts cause all my old ones are about get used up!

Last night I spent dreaming about using wood decking as a floor. There's some wood called IPE that was touted very highly, and it's freakin' gorgeous - y'all know anything about it? Lemme guess: it's either a million $ a square foot or it's only downfall is that it eats aluminum. Oh wait there it is - it's HEAVY. 69 pounds per cubic foot. That could be an issue....

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, I've seen those two already, but I appreciate your looking out for me ;)

I just emailed this guy:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/boa/1783722074.html

At the same time, I oiled up the current motor pretty good now that the head and manifold are off. I haven't given up on it yet. I'm gonna let 'er soak a few days then go back and see what wipes off. Better go buy a few dozen new t-shirts cause all my old ones are about get used up!

Last night I spent dreaming about using wood decking as a floor. There's some wood called IPE that was touted very highly, and it's freakin' gorgeous - y'all know anything about it? Lemme guess: it's either a million $ a square foot or it's only downfall is that it eats aluminum. Oh wait there it is - it's HEAVY. 69 pounds per cubic foot. That could be an issue....

Well, I found one opinion on the trex deck question that I posed on another thread. Give this a read:

http://www.gardenstructure.com/composite_decking

TS

EDIT: Oh, so personally I'm going to keep it simple and stick with ply/epoxy.

-

paparoof

Yeah I don't want composite anything. I have a rifle with a composite stock. Can't wait till I can replace it with one made out of wood. I've been thinking about doing much of the interior of this boat in wood. Wood is beautiful.

Wood, wood, wood....

nowback

Petty Officer 3rd Class

trex deck is really heavy too, i used a block of that for the stringers under the
motor, its great stuff if you dont need to use to much.
matt

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah I don't want composite anything. I have a rifle with a composite stock. Can't wait till I can replace it with one made out of wood. I've been thinking about doing much of the interior of this boat in wood. Wood is beautiful.

Wood, wood, wood....

Wood looks great, I'm with you there. I'm partial to mahogany. I like white oak too and curly maple is a real northwood that is not too common.

Good prices here.
http://www.hardwoodboardsource.com/?gclid=CMTE0byxg6ECFRYMDQodJHkOVA

paparoof

anyone know where a fella can get a wiring diagram for a 1975 islander?