Water Pump, Volvo vs Merc Question

trout45

Recruit
In trying to gather information about my first boat purchase I've hit a wall regarding the water pump impeller. I've read that it requires replacement every two years on a Merc Alpha One outdrive and that with service it can cost around $500. In that same post I read that the water pump impeller requires replacement every year on the Volvo Penta, but that the cost is around $150.

The issue I'm having is that via searching on Google impellers don't seem to cost nearly that much. Is it the service that drives those numbers up? If I find the thread again I'll link back to it, but can anyone verify that this is accurate?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Water Pump, Volvo vs Merc Question

The issue I'm having is that via searching on Google impellers don't seem to cost nearly that much. Is it the service that drives those numbers up?

Ayuh,... That would be a Yes,...

Welcome Aboard...

Lupus

Seaman

Hi,

I am not a high skilled "Volvo repair guy" but the impreller I am replacing each and every year. I have a VP 5.7 GSI and I buy the impreller kit for USD 50,- and it takes me about 30-45 minutes to replace it. It is quite simple. Buy a manual (can recommend SELOC) and you will be able to do all the basics yourself - i.e change the oil, filters, termostat and spark plugs easily and more if you get the interest. The manual is USD 30,- so it is well worth the pay.... Go by the Volvo..... I find it stronger build ....hope not that I am hurting anyones feelings ;-)

nofuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im quite a competent mechanic, however I would say for a do-it-yourselfer changing a mercruiser impeller is less than an hours work, and the impeller is about $50 I think i paid last year. so to pay $400 per hour labour i think is madness. the first time i ever worked on a merc stern drive i changed 2 impellers in under 1 hour, so an experienced merc technician should be able to do one in under 1 hour easily. check your service quotes, thats way too high, I would expect, around $50 to$75 an hour as i see in florida to be about average, so a $150 price on either impeller change I think is fair, $500 is robbery.
Cant advise on which engine combo to use since i am new to stern drives and as such dont have the required experience

No Fuss