Bad boat owners

mphy98

Lieutenant
Have you ever wanted to go up to someone and just smack them and take there boat away?

A person I know has his boat at the same shop mine is at. He keeps it in the water all summer. His lack of maintenance is terrible. He needs a new ring gear, starter a reseal on the lower unit and all the bellows are cracked and dry rotted so badly that it will sink this summer. Plus a complete interior makeover.

I pointed out the sinking part of it and he got really mad and said if it sinks, the insurance will pay for a new boat. This boat is only 5 years old, but very poorly maintained. I told him that insurance will not pay if it is from neglect and he said he would take a pliers and screw driver and make it look like an animal did it. I told him that would be fraud... He got very agitated and told me to mind my own business. I guess it takes all kinds. I would love to know his insurance company though. :eek:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bad boat owners

Several reasons there for being very careful when buying a used boat !!!

ziggy

Admiral

the writings on the wall.... ya tried to help..

ya can lead a horse to water but ya can't make him drink...

i'd leave well enough alone with that guy. let him sink it... with luck, you'll be close by for some entertainment while ya throw him a type IV pfd or two while your enjoying your beverage...

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

...offer him $50.00 for it ...as-is.......lol :D

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Now people remember proper seamanship , Throw him a lifeline when it sinks , then charge him for a beer on your boat just for his wise ask comment .

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Just think how much fun it will be telling him "told you so :p' .....:D

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

He is probably upside down on his house too.

TilliamWe

Banned

Don't even get into the insurance fraud aspect of it. As a matter of fact, you stand a fair chance of being wrong in regards to your coverage analysis. While the deteriorated bellows would be excluded, the SINKING, and resulting damage would BE covered under my (and many others') boat insurance policy. No need to lie about anything, really. All he has to say is, "well, I didn't know those little cracks in the bellows could allow water into the boat. Besides, I think my bilge pump is automatic." Bing Bing, coverage for the sinking. Case closed, claim check written.

mphy, I know it bothers you, but don't let it. It's not your boat. It's his, he do whatever he wants with it. If you had a financial stake in it, then I can see being upset. Just stick to doing what you like, and leave him and his boat be. Try to quit worrying about him and go boating. That way you won't be at the dock all the time! ;)

jonesg

Admiral

Lots of judging others these days, since when did anyone think its ok to go about sticking their nose into everyone elses affairs.
Everyone thinks their God.?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

My buddy's dad used to buy a new boat, normally a cheap little 14 foot fiberglass with bench seats with a 15 or 20 Johnny, and never took care of it. Boated in saltwater all of the time, got done fishing and backed it into the garage. No wash, trailer rinse or flushing. After 5 years or so, he'd just buy an new boat motor and trailer.
That is what he wanted to do, so why not?
We fished pretty much every day back then, so I think that he figured that the extra time cleaning up every day was not worth it.
And it wasn't. He died way too early, but it certainly wasn't from being anal about his boat.

Plotus

Cadet

I'v found the same thing in motorcycles as your refering, ride hard, and put away wet and dirty. Not just once, but always. I don't think we can really put ourselves in their frame of minds/stupidity. Kind of reminds me of that bible verse warning against throwing pearls to swines. I'm retired, and love fiddeling with everything on my boat, polishing, varnishing and keeping it clean. Some people are just sloths though, and indifferent. The best you could do is just stay clear and warn anyone you care about not to think of his boat as anything they'd want.:)

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

A holes like that are why we all pay more for insurance.some people make a living out of fraudulent claims and some are obviously very good at it.anyone else noticed lots of house fires lately w the bad economy and morgage fiasco?lots of new or unfinished homes have burnt down here.usually at night and the power is not even on or installed in some cases.the rumor is kids or homeless people.yea right.or maybe insurance is the next BIG thing and Im the idiot.Is his boat also leaking grease or oil as it sits there rotting?I feel better sometimes when I think theres a "Special Hell" for some people when they die!!

PW2

Commander

To each his own.

When I lived in Port Angeles, Wa I used to have an old boat I bought from an out of business resort--Even left the old "ANDY'S" painted on the side of it as is.

I had a 25 and a 6 hp Johnson. Once a year I'd run them in a lake for an hour or so, but other than that, it was salt water all the time, with the occasional garden hose to hose it down and remove fish scales, etc.

Other than replacing the trailer lights once in a while, never had a problem.

Had a boss that had a much nicer looking boat, and he was always spending hours and hours after each use keeping it that way.

If, however, he wanted to catch fish, he'd get me to take him in my boat.