Carb question

hl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Still working on the ranger. Everything seems to be working good except gas consumption. Ran down the river about 2 to 3 miles and it burned 4 gallons of gas. This is a 150 Black Max. Thinking the carbs needs to be reworked. I have rebuilt several automobile carbs. Would the 150 cards be much different than an automobile's ?

emckelvy

Commander
Re: Carb question

A 150 will burn at least 15 gallons per hour at wide open throttle. Are the carbs dripping, if they were that'd be a good indication problems with the floats or needles/seats.

Maybe there's a problem with the fuel pump, a ruptured diaphragm will suck a ton of fuel into the crankcase. Ethanol-blended fuels don't do these any favors, that's for sure!

Try pumping the primer bulb and if it doesn't get hard, and you can hear fuel flowing somewhere in/on the motor, that's a real good clue that some work is in order.

HTH.........ed

hl

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pumped the ball. could not hear anything. Tried reading the plugs for color. Being the plugs have no electro I could not tell how hot they were running. Should I go to a spark plug with an electro? Also it takes the motor a long time to warm up. For about 10 to 15 minutes it will bog. After the bog is over it runs great for the rest of the day.

emckelvy

Commander

Taking a long time to warm up might be an indication of problems with the thermostats, like maybe one or both stuck open. You'd have to pull the thermostat covers to check each 'stat. You'll need new gaskets once you pop open the covers, unless they come off cleanly and you can properly re-seal them.

This could also be a reason for the poor fuel economy, these motors are designed to run at a certain temp and will idle real bad if too cold. 10-15 minutes is quite a long time for warmup.

The block and heads should get warm-ish, not real hot. The exhaust manifold cover should stay cool to lukewarm.

I'd imagine a stuck water pressure relief poppet might do the same thing, so you may want to check that out, too.

Oh, Boy, more things to check, Yay!...........ed

On the spark plugs, check your manual. If it specifies Perma-Gap plugs with no alternative then that's what should be used. Perma-Gaps run colder than standard electrode-type and use of the wrong heat range electrode-type plug could cause destructive detonation.

hl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, I will check these this week. Let you know how it turns out

hl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Replaced the thermostats and the motor still boggs for about 10-15 minutes. After that it runs great for the rest of the day, but still uses too much gas. Maybe a fuel pump kit will be next.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Hey. Once you are at plane back the the throttle OFF. And Keep at Plane If I'm not mistaken. PLANE IS PLANE. More Gas ain't going to help. .02

hl

Petty Officer 1st Class

During the 10-15 minute bogg the boat will not plane-out. The speed is only 10 to 15 mph. After the bogg lifts the boat planes out perfect for the rest of the day.