What do you think of Progressive insurance?

reap182

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: What do you think of Progressive insurance?

have had them for several years now, boat, motorcycle, camper. good rates and very accommodating so far. no complaints

sharps45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have both my boat and motorcycle through Progressive. The interesting thing is that when I signed up for my motorcycle insurance, the salesperson told me that once it gets cold (which is 8 months of the year here) to cancel the policy, and get a refund for the unused amount! Unfortunately, I owe on the boat so I can't go that route with it.
Sounds like good customer service to me!

Anyway- the girl on the commercials crawls up my spine for some reason.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I the salesperson told me that once it gets cold (which is 8 months of the year here) to cancel the policy, and get a refund for the unused amount! Unfortunately, I owe on the boat so I can't go that route with it.
Sounds like good customer service to me!

When Progressive started offering homeowners in my state the sales person tried to slip by me that there is a 2% wind/hail deductible. My house is expensive to rebuild and at the time that feature simply wasn't done here as it is in other states. I explained to her I am not interested because shelling out 2% of the value of the home is a very large amount of cash as compared to the $2,500 deductible I wanted and currently had and all other insurers offer. She then informed me that no one 'really' pays their deductible and you can work it out with the contractor in the event of a claim. She was telling me to go ahead and committ insurance fraud so i'd buy the policy from them. It was a little shocking to hear the words. They still do the 2% wind/hail deducible these days and others still don't.

carbineone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cannot help you with Progressive but,I have just liability on my boat through my house insurance and do not know if they offer full coverage as I never asked but the liability through my Homeowners policy is 13.00 a year...Maybe check with your homeowners first if you have a policy...

180shabah

Rear Admiral

never used progressive, but my daughter loves Flo...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Progressive is more expensive for my car and my boat. Nobody beats BoatUS for marine insurance. (Of course, that's where I live...it may be different elsewhere.) For insurance, the best bvet is to shop around every year and see who's got the best price then.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

the best bvet is to shop around every year and see who's got the best price then.

Agreed - I shopped around again this year and found out I had a pretty sweet deal where I was. Also, found boatUS rates to be WAY out of line.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Agreed - I shopped around again this year and found out I had a pretty sweet deal where I was. Also, found boatUS rates to be WAY out of line.

It just goes to show you how crooked the industry is. I would guess that areas that have low claims are the ones that have low rates. It really shouldn't matter...it should be based on your own personal record.

BoatUS rates for me were 50% cheaper than Progressive and at least 25% less than the rest. I have my homeowners and cars with Allstate, and what they quoted me for boats and my RV were insane.

12guns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I'll through my opinion in here...I'm a claims adjuster for Progressive. Going on 6 years now! I don't work boat claims direct, but I can tell you our claims service leads the industry in all business areas that we sell. Companies like Travelers admittedly copy our business plan and claims processes. Not to toot my own horn, but it's the truth. I won't be doing this forever, but it's been a good job thus far. As said earlier, I am lied to everyday on virtually every claim. Insurance comanies are so highly regulated I pay for stuff all the time that I know good and well we don't owe a dime for.
About the boat claim earlier, I can promise you there was much more to the claim. The most common thing is when there's no "impact" and the gears are worn from never having a fluid change. If the "impact" didn't cause the worn gears to need replacement, we don't owe for that. That's not what insurance is for.
So, for the honest person that understands the process we explain to them, yes, we are very fair, fast, and accurate. But if you think you can get a new engine for your lack of maintanience, think again. In order for any claim to be denied that insurance company better have good reason or that's big trouble for them. Sorry to ramble, glad to answer any specific questions though.

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

I have USAA insurance for my cars. Argue with me, but I'll still tell you they're the best.

They quit doing boats and now recommend Progressive.

That being said, I went with BoatUS.

I as well use them for everything. They are the most fantastic company to deal with.
When they said they use progressive to outsource their boat ins I went with progessive because I trust USAA. If I were to make a claim I would still call USAA to get it started.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Insurance comanies are so highly regulated I pay for stuff all the time that I know good and well we don't owe a dime for.

I just left Farmers for Progressive. Here is why: My wife and a careless driver got into the lightest of scrapes. My wife's suv was in perfect condition and the damage was estimated at $125 to her suv. The other lady's car was a 12 year old rusted to the hilt bucket of bolts and she admitted to being in two prior accidents. I mean this car was not road worthy. My wife took pictures of the scrape on the other lady's car because the whole incident was pretty shady. Her bumper was duct taped on. Long story short, there were two adjusters, one to look at my wife's car and another to look at the other lady's car. The other lady proceeded to remove her bumper by removing the duct tape then drive it into the estimation facility. Neither of the propery adjusters confered with eachother. They looked at the other persons severly damaged car from prior accidents now missing the front bumper first (my wife made sure to capture it with her camera phone). They wrote her a check for all of the previous damage including the now missing bumper. I called Farmers ahead of time to warn them something was amiss and sent them the photos. The other adjuster came to look at my wife's car 2 weeks after the other lady received her check which of course we did not know. Each individual employee of the insurance company admitted they made an error but they won't overturn their decision or go after the lady for her acts. We sit with an at fault accident charged to my wife though it clearly was not her fault and the lady who hit my wife committed egregious insurance fraud and no one wants to make it right. The adjuster who paid the lady for all her prior damage was angry but noone will own it. In any event every employee I dealt with at Farmers was unlike anyother I had ever dealt with. It was like being in a fiction novel. We did everything right, took all the appropriate steps but the Farmers machine was just too much to overcome. I have put $1 billion dollar deals together with less hassle than dealing with Farmers Insurance.

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have always used Progressive for my boats and have found their rates very competative and their customer service very friendly. No claims yet...knock on wood!

12guns

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just left Farmers for Progressive. Here is why: My wife and a careless driver got into the lightest of scrapes. My wife's suv was in perfect condition and the damage was estimated at $125 to her suv. The other lady's car was a 12 year old rusted to the hilt bucket of bolts and she admitted to being in two prior accidents. I mean this car was not road worthy. My wife took pictures of the scrape on the other lady's car because the whole incident was pretty shady. Her bumper was duct taped on. Long story short, there were two adjusters, one to look at my wife's car and another to look at the other lady's car. The other lady proceeded to remove her bumper by removing the duct tape then drive it into the estimation facility. Neither of the propery adjusters confered with eachother. They looked at the other persons severly damaged car from prior accidents now missing the front bumper first (my wife made sure to capture it with her camera phone). They wrote her a check for all of the previous damage including the now missing bumper. I called Farmers ahead of time to warn them something was amiss and sent them the photos. The other adjuster came to look at my wife's car 2 weeks after the other lady received her check which of course we did not know. Each individual employee of the insurance company admitted they made an error but they won't overturn their decision or go after the lady for her acts. We sit with an at fault accident charged to my wife though it clearly was not her fault and the lady who hit my wife committed egregious insurance fraud and no one wants to make it right. The adjuster who paid the lady for all her prior damage was angry but noone will own it. In any event every employee I dealt with at Farmers was unlike anyother I had ever dealt with. It was like being in a fiction novel. We did everything right, took all the appropriate steps but the Farmers machine was just too much to overcome. I have put $1 billion dollar deals together with less hassle than dealing with Farmers Insurance.

Yeah, happens all the time. I can't promise it won't with progressive, but I can tell you us claims adjusters are VERY good at paying for the right damage. That's one reason people have bad experiences with us. When a person has an accidnet w/ another company, it can be like hitting the lotto! Where as Progressive (more times than not) will be paying for what we legally owe, not what the person tells us to. Again if I'm dealing with a normal, reasonable person, there will be no problems and you will be very pleased w/ the service. It's sad how many people use insurance companies to try to get non related damage paid for. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "I don't know how it happened, but the transmission was fine before" !! As soon as they realize they will have to pay for the tear down if it's not related, they normally drop it. Anyway, I'm rambling...

Bowser4x4

Seaman

I as well use them for everything. They are the most fantastic company to deal with.
When they said they use progressive to outsource their boat ins I went with progessive because I trust USAA. If I were to make a claim I would still call USAA to get it started.

Same here.... The house, cars, life, and special items are all with USAA.... When I went to insure the last atv, the extension for it now goes to Prgressive, but to a dedicated rep for USAA. Not being shy, I asked the rep what the deal was. She was very polite and extremely knowledgeable. She explained that since USAA had been using Progressive to re insure the high risk members, that it just fit going with Progressive when USAA stopped doing the boats and toys. As said above, I trust USAA and so far, have never had a problem.... Hope it keeps up that way.

Woof
Bowser