Carter Carb #9770s

el_coqui

Cadet
Where can I get a rebuilt kit for this carb? I have not had any luck in the marina or auto part store. They can't ID the carb.

Is a car carb the same or do I have to go with a marine carb?
What's a good replacement-Holley or edelbrock?

It goes on a mercruiser 350 approximate year of motor 1976-79.

Thanks in advance

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Carter Carb #9770s

It goes on a mercruiser 350 approximate year of motor 1976-79.

Ayuh,.... Is it a spread-bore, or square-bore intake manifold,..??

el_coqui

Cadet

Hey Bond-o
I won't know the difference. I'll check it out and will describe it.

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

What Bond-o is refering to is the back two barrels bigger then the front two. If so it is a spread bore. If they are the same size they are a square bore. It sounds like the float is sticking allowing the fuel to keep flowing. An automotive float should work in it.
If you still have the 305 why not use the carb off of it. If the carb flange on both motors look alike they WILL interchange. 305's usually are a little oversized anyway. They only need 350 cfm's and usually have a 600cfm carb. 350's in stock form can run 600 cfm's noproblem. They will run with a 400 cfm carb. finding these smaller carbs are a pain to find in 4 barrel form.
In the auto industry they would just downsize the main jets to a smaller size. I have made this kind of carb swap amany a times on cars and trucks with no problem. Good luck!!

el_coqui

Cadet

Lonemusk
The 305 had a two barrel. Would a four barrel from a car work? I have an old Holley 600.

Tractoman
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

From what i've read on here NO a car carb wont work cause it is not USCG certified. But if the 350 is a 4bbl, you should be able to use the 4x2 adapter to mount the 2bbl. It is available at the 'ZONE in the isle with the Mr. Gasket stuff. It will raise the carb up about 1" though. easy to put on. I have used them on cars before just going from a 2bbl intake to a 4bbl carb. You would just flip it over so you could go from 4bbl intake to a 2 bbl carb.
Car carbs have several vacuum ports where as boats dont. And boat carb are certifed for use by the USCG. Other then these two things I dont know of anyother difference. Maybe one of the marine mechs on here know of any other differnece in them. Your carter should be a square bore. And do you have any speed(high peerformance) shops in your area. If so go to them to see if they can get a rebuild kit. I've got stuff from them that regular part stores don't or won't carry.

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you tried napa for the kit and float. take them the carb. If the counter guy is good at his job, he will be able to find a kit and float to work for you.

el_coqui

Cadet

The marine store called me and said they ID'ed the carb as a weber and the kit cost $125.00!!! :eek::eek: The kit doesn't include the floats or base gasket. They didn't have the kit in stock but I looked at a similar kit and there is nothing special about the kit. It's a regular everyday $25 kit for a carb. That's crazy. I might just put in the xtra cash and get a complete Eldebrock carb.

I still need to check with NAPA or High Performance store.

Bond-o, the carb is a square bore, all the bores are the same size, (another fact learned, thanks Lonemust)

Bondo

Staff member

That's crazy. I might just put in the xtra cash and get a complete Eldebrock carb.

Ayuh,.... Other than the paint job,+ names in the casting,...
Your carb IS an Edlebrock performer carb....
All the parts for the Edlebrock, Fit your carb,... Exactly....;)

el_coqui

Cadet

Thanks Bond-o
I'm going to get the gasket kit Eldebrock has for $12.00, (Item Number 1472) this should get it to run good enough to do a good evaluation of the motor. If everything checks out then I can spend the money for whatever it needs.

John_S

Rear Admiral

If you are looking to cross to an Edelbrock, the weber you have is a 750cfm. I'd start looking at the kit for the 1410.

PS: That 1472 kit does not have any float needles and seats, or accel pump. Outside of extensive cleaning, those parts are common to wear/fail. Why only do part of it?

el_coqui

Cadet

imported_John_S,
I just need the engine that was swaped in, to run enough to evaluate it . I need it to get to operating temp and see how the engine acts.
Advise taken, I guess I'll tear it down and see the condition of the floats, needles, seats etc, then order the kit.
Thanks

el_coqui

Cadet

I installed the carb kit and I'm not sure of the float level and drop specs.
The kit states the float level should be 7/16" and drop 15/16".
The repair manual states float level 1-9/32" and drop 2". Hugh difference. I think but am not sure that the specs from the kit could be for a car application where the manual is for boat application.
Can someone advise which one I should use?
Thanks

John_S

Rear Admiral

Go by the Merc manual and from where they are measuring them.

el_coqui

Cadet

Forgot to mention...The PUMP DISCHARGE BALL in the kit is smaller than the one in the carb. I used the one in the kit because of the age of the carb I wasn't sure if the one in the carb was ever changed out with the wrong one. Was I right in using the smaller one from the kit or should I swap it back with the larger one that was in the carb?

Thanks

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Forgot to mention...The PUMP DISCHARGE BALL in the kit is smaller than the one in the carb. I used the one in the kit because of the age of the carb I wasn't sure if the one in the carb was ever changed out with the wrong one. Was I right in using the smaller one from the kit or should I swap it back with the larger one that was in the carb?

Thanks

Not sure on the discharge ball, I'm sure somebody will help out. Just curious how much you paid for the rebuild kit? I have the same weber carb in my 350 and I'd like to rebuild it at some point.
Thanks

John_S

Rear Admiral

Thanks

I guess I would assume that the larger one would have been correct, being it was what was in there and it fit the passage. To be sure, you will need input from someone that has spent allot more time with that carb, than I. It would probably help, if you could provide a ball diameter in mm for the large and small, to assist them.

el_coqui

Cadet

Not sure on the discharge ball, I'm sure somebody will help out. Just curious how much you paid for the rebuild kit? I have the same weber carb in my 350 and I'd like to rebuild it at some point.
Thanks

The kit I got is an Edelbrock 1477. It was $40.00 @ Speed Unlimited, a local speed shop. Summit has it for $34. Like Bond-o said everything was the same, with the exception of the discharge ball.

My carb was totally clogged up, every passage, I couldn't see the jets there was so much crud in the carb.