divider plate

pigeon laker

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all.I am in the process of replacing the gaskets on the exhaust divider plate and cover(115 2+2).Nobody stocks the gaskets so I'm waiting 2 weeks for delivery.Should I put any sealant on when replacing them?How do I scrape the old gasket off without damaging anything,it's stuck on.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: divider plate

Use a razor blade and depends on the gasket you are getting. The Merc gasket is a greenish /black and is impregnated with silicon and uses no sealer, some aftermarket brands are not and you will use avation sealer..

pigeon laker

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks,Ihave a Merc one on the way.The reason I am replacing the gaskets is I have a loss of power(400rpm and poor hole shot).The bottom plug was always like new and the rest looked a bit black and oily and I am assuming that water is getting in somewhere.When I removed the divider plate the top of it had quite a bit of carbon on it and gradually got cleaner towards the bottom.Also some of the bolts had rust on them.Am I heading in the right direction.The carbs and fuel pump have been rebuilt and there is good spark and compression on all cylinders.If replacing these gaskets doesn't solve my problem where should I check next.Sorry for rambling on but I don't like to pay $100 an hour for something I can do myself.Thanks.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

There are two different divider styles. You'll get two sets of gaskets in the kit. In the kit will be instructions on how to identify the correct set for your divider plate. You do not need to use sealant with the Merc Kit unless you have corrosion pitting on the mating surfaces. In that case, apply a thin, smoothed layer of Permatex #2 non hardening sealant. You might find it tempting to use the Gray ATV/Motorcycle sealant but don't it's for machined non-gasketed surfaces,,, and it sux on a boat motor.

The Merc Service Manual for your engine also recommends checking the divider plate (not the cover) for warpage. If it is warped it should be replaced.

#4 cylinder almost always looks clean on these motors because it gets an excessive amount of oil pooling in it and it's jacket is always fully immersed in water so it runs very cool. If you take it out and run it at WOT then turn off the key and pull the plug you'll see it is burning a nice tan color as it is supposed to.

The poor hole shot is from one of the following. Dirty injectors on 3 and 4. Plugged injector filter. Bad/misadjusted accellerator pump. Timing out of synch with throttle.

1. The injectors are on 3 and 4 under the electrical plate.
2. The injectors filter is behind the oil tank.
3. The accellerator pump is just above the fuel pump and should have a cam to plunger clearance of .030 when the throttle is in the WOT position.
4. Perform a Link/Sync procedure.

pigeon laker

Seaman Apprentice

Still waiting on the gaskets,should be in this week.If I still have a problem after replacing them I'll check the accellerator pump,filter and injectors.The filter looks pretty easy to get at but the injectors are no where to be seen.Do I have to remove the oil tank and electrical plate?I will be doing a lync and sync after these repairs.I have a question,how to set the wide open timing without running wide open,seems kinda scary to do this on the water.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

One thing at a time and don't over think it. If changing the exhaust plate gaskets doesn't do the the trick then well go after the other stuff.

pigeon laker

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds good,still waiting on gaskets.i was just wondering why it is so hard to find these gaskets,the motor isn't very old,there seems to be alot of them around -100,115,125hp.Is everyone replacing them?Are they an uncommon item?Or is it just because I live in Canada.Ican't even order from Mercury parts express anymore.I live in Southern Ontario and must have called 20 places- same story-2 weeks.Hopefully this is a rare occurance since I have a88 force 50 that I will be working on once the Merc is perfect.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Which gaskets are you ordering?
1) 27-13958-1
2) 27-812775-4
3) 27-812775-5
Try Promarine 1st but I know for a fact Southern Marine has all these in stock

pigeon laker

Seaman Apprentice

I have already ordered the gaskets from Central outboard Marine and don,t want to screw the place,so another couple of days won't kill me.Part #'s are 27-812775006,27-812775007.Thanks anyway.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Sounds good,still waiting on gaskets.i was just wondering why it is so hard to find these gaskets,the motor isn't very old,there seems to be alot of them around -100,115,125hp.Is everyone replacing them?Are they an uncommon item?Or is it just because I live in Canada.Ican't even order from Mercury parts express anymore.I live in Southern Ontario and must have called 20 places- same story-2 weeks.Hopefully this is a rare occurance since I have a88 force 50 that I will be working on once the Merc is perfect.

This is the season and with the economy the way it is, seems merc is not overstocking any parts. I think when they run out, they go NLA and let an OEM supply the parts or they just stay NLA. Merc is currently NLA on rod bearings for the V-6's with bottom guided 818141 rods. GLM is making them so I guess that's the OEM, (just a guess). You would think those would be a very popular part but I guess Merc really doesn't want to be in the parts business anymore.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Merc is currently NLA on rod bearings for the V-6's with bottom guided 818141 rods.

The bearings are the same for top or bottom guided rods :rolleyes:

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The bearings are the same for top or bottom guided rods :rolleyes:

I am aware of that, I was using it as a reference so if someone questioned my post, they could go to Parts Express and look them up for themselves. I've learned to do that because there have been a few folks that feel the need to question all of my posts.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Not questioning your posts but you state "Merc is currently NLA on rod bearings for the V-6's with bottom guided 818141 rods" and there is no difference between top or bottom guided rod bearings, same bearing. That leads someone to think there may be a different part number for top guided and bottom guided when it is the same number. Also the 818141 is a top guided rod and 8118 is bottom guided...

sschefer

Rear Admiral

So what.. It was just an example the guy isn't even looking for bearings. I should have said widgets but you would have said the Merc doesn't have widgets.

Later...

pigeon laker

Seaman Apprentice

Well,finally got my gaskets and will be putting them in tommorrow(weather permitting).I have a couple of questions I thought about while I have been waiting.The divider plate had alot of carbon on the top and none on the bottom,is this normal?I cleaned everything off really well while removing the PITA old gasket.Also,how am I supposed to get a torque wrench onto the bottom bolts?I don't think I should just guess.How hard is it to remove the bottom cowling?It would make my life alot easier if I could remove it.

pigeon laker

Seaman Apprentice

Well the new gaskets have been installed and motor seems alot better.After doing some fine tuning on the idle mixture I am now doing 37 mph and around 5400 rpm's.Thanx for the advice.Now I have moved to the prop section to try to get a bit more speed out of this boat.I have a 17" aluminun prop,my spare is a 19" and I am going to drill vent holes in it so I don't lose any holeshot.

pigeon laker

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry to make mutiple posts but I was also wanting to do a decarb with Seafoam.Since the bottom carbs are only online in gear at high rpm's do I just add alot to my inboard tank,it would be kind of hard to hold onto a small portable tank while bouncing around in the water.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Well,finally got my gaskets and will be putting them in tommorrow(weather permitting).I have a couple of questions I thought about while I have been waiting.The divider plate had alot of carbon on the top and none on the bottom,is this normal?I cleaned everything off really well while removing the PITA old gasket.Also,how am I supposed to get a torque wrench onto the bottom bolts?I don't think I should just guess.How hard is it to remove the bottom cowling?It would make my life alot easier if I could remove it.

Re carbon: That would be normal if it was leaking and the steam had cleansed the carbon.

From reading your posts following the one I quoted, it seems like you got the bolts torqued correctly.