do all starters up?

hey guys i have a 90 hp evinrude 1996 60 degree v4, i was just wondering if all outboard strters "jump up" i pulled out my starter and it just spins but does not jump up. it spins the flywheel and everything. is it possible my starter does not jump up when it gets power and that theres is some kind of clutch system up in the flywheel case. thank you guys

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: do all starters up?

The Bendix pinion should not be engaged with the ring gear on the flywheel until the starter spins. Then it should run up the shaft and engage. As soon as the motor starts the pinion should go back down the shaft so that it is not engaged with the flywheel.

Its not running freely on the shaft or it is jammed on the flywheel.
BUT
There are two different types of starter motor shown for different versions. One has direct drive with the Bendix on the starter motor shaft. The other has the Bendix on a separate shaft that is gear driven by the starter motor.
You have not given the model number but perhaps you have the second type and are being confused by that.

Looks as though it depends on whether it is American, Belgium or Hong Kong made. American made ones are the second type I think