Alpha One Bad Grinding In Forward Gear

shekinah5678

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Alpha One Bad Grinding In Forward Gear

I don't have the tool. I bought the exhaust tube instead of the bellow. I read that it's a little easier to put on since you only have to install on the transom side. My manual said the bellow can expand and cause it to push against the u-joint bellow. Do you think I will still need the tool? If it's a must have I will buy it. I found them on ebay for about $45.00 I just convinced myself I could do the job without it.

fishrdan

Admiral

With the exhaust tube you don't need the tool. Good luck with the work (meant in a good way :D)

sparky71

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I did my shift cable,I tied a piece of fishing line to the inside end of the cable sheath as soon as I disconnected it from the shift plate.Then with someone inside the boat I unscrewed it from the bell housing and carefully pulled it out while he was guiding it from the inide.Once out untie fishing line and this allows you to "snake" the new one in.This also gets the cable routing exactly as the old one was.
As was said MAKE sure all spiral wrap is removed before attempting to pull it out. good luck

shekinah5678

Seaman Apprentice

sparky71 Fishing line, thats a pretty good Idea. I will definately do that. As for this spiraling wrap. I don't think mine has it. I ran my hand down the cable as far as I could and didn't feel anything. I can get almost all the way to the bottom of the exhaust pipe with nothing. The service manual makes it out like it would be half way up into the engine compartment.
Thanks for the idea!!!

shekinah5678

Seaman Apprentice

OK guys you are probably gonna kill me but I have changed my mind again. I decided that I want to change the gimbal bearing after all. I know there are already several posts on the subject so I will keep it brief. I don't really want to buy the $200.00 tool and from what I've read it can be done without. I did buy the bearing installer that attaches to the alignment tool. I found this tool at Harbor Freight called a "3-Jaw Pilot Bearing Puller." I am going to try to attach the picture of it. I was just wandering what you all think about using it to pull the bearing. It's on sale for about $12.00 rite now.

Thanks Again

Attachments

• image_1413.jpg
    image_1413.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 0

cr2k

Captain

If you can get it in and on the brg. it will work.

Just make sure your arm is jointed in at least 3 places when you re-stab the shift cable. (humor) some are a real pita to get to make the turn after they go thru the transom shield.

Kudos for doing this yourself!! When done you can tell the wife, you saved $$ gained experience and now have tools for future use.

wil7483

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know if that will fit in the bearing. I went to Auto Zone and rented a slide hammer. It's teeth were pretty badly wore down so i went on Ebay and bought the same one for $36.00. You have to pay a deposit of $80.00 to rent it at Autozone but you get it all back once you return the tool. The new one I purchased made quick work of snatching my totally destroyed bearing out.

Attachments

• !BrWUdygBWk~$(KGrHqMH-EEEvECBeWHWBLzRUnjovw~~_35.jpg
    !BrWUdygBWk~$(KGrHqMH-EEEvECBeWHWBLzRUnjovw~~_35.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 0

shekinah5678

Seaman Apprentice

Ok another question. The exhaust tube came in the mail today. I'm just wondering what's the point of it? I thought it would have some kind of valve or flapper similar to the ones up in the y tube. What's the difference in putting it on from putting nothing at all on?

Bondo

Staff member

What's the difference in putting it on from putting nothing at all on?

Ayuh,... About 4"s....

NHGuy

Captain

I have an exhaust tube too. Really easy to put on. But you are right, it does nothing except keep the transom plate mounting surface covered. I think it may help reduce corrosion there. It can protect the driveshaft bellows in the case your exhaust is hot. But if you pay attention and don't overheat it does little. I'd say though, if you have it, use it.
I have a little hint about the shift cable work, something I learned from experience. When you are tightening the shift cable fitting into the bell housing do it precisely as instructed in the Alpha 1 manual (#6). If you get the fitting in the housing the right distance you can get a correct shift adjustment. If you stop too soon as I did, you may go through the adjustment process any number of times unable to get forward gear. I found my mistake using the troubleshooter in the manual.
BTW don't use the iboats sticky post from 2004 as your guide, it misses 1 or 2 points that are necessary. Follow the Mercruiser instructions and you will be good.

shekinah5678

Seaman Apprentice

Hello again I have another question. I am getting ready to drill the hole in the alignment tool and am a little unclear about the directions. They say to insert the tool and mark it. Then remove the tool and move the driver head a quarter inch toward the small end and remark. I marked the bar on the outside edge of the driver head. Then moved the quarter inch and remarked. My question is do I drill on the line or do I put a mark through the driver head hole and drill there? Also while I'm asking which edge of the driver head do I put towards the Bearing. There is a sunken in edge and a flat edge. I have placed a picture of the marks I made on the alignment tool to hopefully illustrate what I'm asking about. Line A is the first mark, B the second, and C is the hole in the driver head with it installed on line B.

Thanks Again

Attachments

• Alignment tool.jpg
    Alignment tool.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 1

shekinah5678

Seaman Apprentice

Progress!!!!

Well I'm still waiting for parts but I went ahead and pulled the gimbal bearing. I ended up using the method that 45Auto described in the adults only post. The axle bearing puller worked great. I just may make it through this and get on the water afterall. Thanks to all of you!

shekinah5678

Seaman Apprentice
Conclusion!!!!!!

Conclusion!!!!!!

Well I'm done. I got all the bellows, bearing, and grease seal Installed and the bell housing put back on. I found out the hard way that you need two people to get the shift cable fished through the transom and up into the engine compartment. Spent three hours hanging down in the engine compartment with my feet pointing up in the air before a buddy came over and the job was done in five minutes. Just needed someone to push it through from the outside while I guided it. Then I hit a snag when putting the out drive back on. Got it all the way down to the last inch and just couldn't get it to slip back in. Searched all the different posts here and tried to no avail. Spent more than 6 hours in two days. Alignment seemed good the drive shaft was actually in the coupler but just couldn't get the last inch. Finally took the boat into the local boat shop and asked them to look it over. I was a little paranoid that I had jacked something up. It turned out that the the gimbal bearing wasn't straight. He used a tool to adjust it and everything went back together. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't finish the job by myself but I guess sometimes you just gotta ask for help. Speaking of help Thanks Again to everyone here! I couldn't have done it without you.