OMG.......Finding a kicker is frustrating!

Okay so I had my Bayliner Discovery 192 measured up for a kicker and it turns out I need the 25" shaft if the cavitation plate is going to match the depth of my hull.
Turns out that the Yamaha T8 w/25" shaft only comes with power trim (which I don't want) which adds $800 to the cost. There is no way I am spending $3800 on an 8 hp motor!

Can someone please recommend a suitable kicker for me!

All I want is 4 stoke, 25" shaft???, manual start, Battery charging. High thrust would be great but I am starting to no longer care. I just want to get my kids out fishing.

Or should I not worry about the cavitation plate/hull depth and just get a long shaft (22") and call it good enough. Wow am I frustrated right now.:mad:

Thanks for any help.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
Re: OMG.......Finding a kicker is frustrating!

I have a Nissan 8 hp kicker new was about 1800. and never had a issue with it. I have a 15 inch on a 20 inch transom because it's on the side it is not a problem.
http://www.nissan-outboards.com/nissan-8-HP-4-stroke.htm
PDR_0229.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Not sure I understand "manual start, Battery charging."

Seems like a lot of boaters on this forum want kickers. Of course it all depends on the circumstances, but maybe you don't need one that bad? You can buy a lot of other stuff with that money--including a tow! For fishing, consider a trolling motor. Anyway, around here, they aren't that common certainly not to the point of being typical. Just a thought.

Manual start but has an alternator for charging the boats main battery.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There are many adjustable kicker motor mounts out there. You wouldn't need a 25 inch shaft with one of those. They can be raised to get the motor out of the water or lowered when you want to use it.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

You need one of these:

http://www.iboats.com/Adjustable-Ou...8821618--**********.724316913--view_id.217143

And for a previous poster: A kicker is really the way to go if you have no way to mount a bow mounted electric. An electric on the stern is almost useless (unless it was a monster 100lb thrust or so) and you spend all day trying to keep it straight. I love being able to put around with my 9.9, just sit at the helm and enjoy. And it saves a ton of gas.

Hi guys,

THe boat actually has an adjustable Garelick mount. (rated to 35 hp) I had the boat dealer measure it from its lowest setting to the bottom of the boat and it is 25 inches. We hung a used 9.9 with a 25 " shaft and it was right. So I just need the right engine solution. To bad Yamaha doesn't let the customers mix and match the components a bit more.

I just recieved a suggestion of going to a 9.9 HT as they are available with 25" shaft and without the power trim. Seems like a lot more power than I need for a 19 1/2 ft. boat. But I don't appear to have many options.

Here is photo in full up position.

Attachments

• 192.jpg
    192.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 0

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Just for clarification, are you trying to make the kicker cavitation plate level with the outdrives cavitation plate? I wasn;t sure when you said bottom if you meant VERY bottom or the bottom directly below the kicker mount.

The kicker cavitation plate only needs to sit where the red line is, not down to the yellow line.

Attachments

• bayliner.jpg
    bayliner.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It doesn't need to be that low, especially with a bracket.

Mounted directly on the transom the AV plate can be considerably higher than the hull (the portion directly in front of it) and still work well. On a bracket it can be even higher because it will be set back even further from the transom. So while a 25" would be nice, its not required, a 20" will work well.

Finding a manual start with a charging system can be tough too, it can be added, but new can be more difficult to find. It is becoming more popular though.

New T8s with electric start plus trim and tilt go for about $2,800 here.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Hi guys,

THe boat actually has an adjustable Garelick mount. (rated to 35 hp) I had the boat dealer measure it from its lowest setting to the bottom of the boat and it is 25 inches. We hung a used 9.9 with a 25 " shaft and it was right. So I just need the right engine solution. To bad Yamaha doesn't let the customers mix and match the components a bit more.

I just recieved a suggestion of going to a 9.9 HT as they are available with 25" shaft and without the power trim. Seems like a lot more power than I need for a 19 1/2 ft. boat. But I don't appear to have many options.

Here is photo in full up position.

its 25" from the top of your kicker bracket on its lowest setting to the bottom of the hull DIRECTLY UNDER the KICKER motor??????

wouldnt seem that high from the picture

you wont need more than the height of your ladder step....is that 25"???

I can tell you from playing musical kicker motors over the last month that 8 hp, 9.9, or 15 hp....you wont notice any change in speed from motor to motor..

I got 6 MPH out of my 6 hp and 7.5 MPH out of my 15 hp

you wont get into a "too much power" thing...you may get into a lot of wasted weight thing though!!!

but that boat propbably wont notice the difference between a 50 lb kicker or a 140 lb kicker...

good luck

bob

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Bob, from the pic there is no way you need a 25".

Lion Hunter, thanks for taking the time to mark out the photo. Yes, we measured from the top of the plate (in the lowest position) to the red line (the hull part under the kicker bracket) It really is 25"!

I will have to take a photo with the tape measure. Believe me, I was surprised and disappointed when I found that out. I wonder if the bracket was set a little high to begin with?

Well I have to say that I am disappointed with Yamahas website and the local dealers. Yamahas website doesn't even advertise the 8hp models anymore. I had a dealer in Bellingham tell me that they are'nt being made anymore (just the 9.9 and up). The dealers here in Vancouver BC have also given me possibly wrong info.

I just looked on Boats.net and they list a 25" Yamaha T8DEXH Outboard Motor

Price: $2,420.19
MSRP: $3,125.72

Type: Outboard Motor
Year: Current
Series: Four Stroke High Thrust
HP: 8
Engine Type: 2 Cylinder
Control Type: Tiller Handle
Weight: 105 lb (48 kg)
Power Trim and Tilt: No
Power Tilt: No
Shaft Length: 25 inch

This would fit my need. I will call them tomorrow.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

That motor will work if you want a tiller model. Yes they are going to stop making T8s, the high demand for them is mainly here in the west and mostly in the NW. There was a time when none were in stock and people were waiting for them. Most parts of the country don't troll in the same way its done around here and its so close to the 9.9/15 it didn't make sense to have both.

As I said in my first post measuring out that dimension at 25" means little, a 20" will work fine. But if you can get a 25", all the better.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

There is always the option os lowering the bracket as well. Would only need 2 more holes. Could move the top holes to the bottom and drill 2 new bottom holes.

Rudi2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is always the option os lowering the bracket as well. Would only need 2 more holes. Could move the top holes to the bottom and drill 2 new bottom holes.

I would think that this would be a reasonable option-- is there a reason the kicker plate can't be lowered?

I guess I am just unsure of how much work and unsightly it may be to repair/fill the previous holes and then remove the adhesive. Then of course putting it back on. I am not sure what is involved to do it properly.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Before you relocate the mount, make sure the tiller handle for the kicker will clear the stern which is probably why it is mounted so high currently. If this will be a remove control motor linked to the outdrive that wouldn't be an issue.

I bought the yamaha T8 DEHX on Boats.net

It will meet my needs exactly. I can't beleive it took me four weeks to find the engine I wanted and not a single Yamaha dealer even told me that this model existed.

thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.