Do I really need to cover my boat?

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's an 18' center console with absolutely no upholstery. It's also on a lift at the end of my dock so i get almost no debris in it. The boat really seems to stay cleaner without a cover than with one. Will rain destroy the boat over time? I realize that sun will fade the gel coat but it's not really the kind of boat that deserves concern for it's appearance. I just don't want it to rot as I'm sure there is wood under at least some of the fibergalss.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Do I really need to cover my boat?

No.
You have the kind of boat that is made for the outdoors. Enjoy carefree boating!

Leave the plug out if you're concerned about water accumulation but don't forget it! But your bilge pump will handle what you need. Since removing the plug can be a pain on a lift, I suggest taking it out only if you are not using it any length of time--like over the winter.

Consider, however, a cover for the console, to protect the gear on it from salt air and rain seeping in around the guages, etc. Even a grill cover will work--cheap!

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Yep - have seen many CCs with just a cover over the console and helm seats.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Reel boats are allowed to get wet. :D:D

JoLin

Vice Admiral

...but the prom queen is used to better treatment.....

I guess that would be me :D

My only comment is that UV causes damage too, and the cover will protect against that.

My .02

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

It's a personal choice really. For me I cover all the time when not in use.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

There's also a security factor. Kinda like locks and keeping honest people honest. Covers do deter a bit and keep people from peeking in and grabbing stuff. But thay may not be a problem on a lift.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'll second the security factor. It's the only reason my motorcycles get covered. Out of sight, out of mind.

Do you have any electronics on the boat? If so, they are easy targets for smash and grab types. Most of those low lifes won't bother with lifting a cover to see what's underneath - yup, they are theives, so by definition, they are lazy.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

I like to keep the cover off on a nice day after I use the boat to dry things out, but other than that YES the cover is on. I use a "breatable" cover now,, when I used to use a tarp I would have a box fan in the boat on a timer to move the air around some covers do more harm than good though.......
Denny

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. Just needed some confirmation of what I was already thinking. She's kept in an area that is on the fresh side of brackish so salt is not a big problem. Electronics aren't really a conern at this point. I wish it were. The VHF is removed and stowed and the fish finder is currently fried so they can have at it. A console cover does sound like a good idea however I do keep the bimini up and it protects the console from all but serious rain storms. The prop is the biggest concern of theft but a cover wouldn't prevent that. Not to mention it's still just the aluminum one that came with the motor.

mjgates

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To quote the the advice from both marine surveyers I have hired in the last 11 years. Boats are meant to get wet, not to stay wet. Do everything you can to keep them dry when not in use.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Don't sweat it. We (a friend and I) a 22' Grady White, a 17' Carolina Skiff, and a 23' May-Craft pilot house on lifts 9 months out of the year.

The Grady and May-Craft have hardtops so weather on the console isn't an issue. Keep motor covers on them and keep a good coat of wax on them. Tried using a cover but they became a pain to take on and off. Mold becomes an issue as well. Covers do more harm than good when the average dew points are in excess of 70 degrees as they are here most of the summer. Our biggest issue is keeping the Ospreys from trying to build a nest on the tops in the Spring.

The Carolina is used mostly for crabbing. Lots of mud, sand and beer accumulate on the floor by the end of the day. Hose it out when we're done and call it a day. Put it back on the lift to dry. Only bother with the console and motor covers if the boat we will not be used for the next couple of days.

Boats are tools. They are to be used. They get us to and from our destination. We don't hug them. We're long past the point where you sit in the captions chairs and make pretend engines noises while parked in the drive way. We don't worship them. We're not looking to preserve a bit of history for the Smithsonian 30 years from now. We don't feel our manhood is in question if someone has a bigger boat and we could care less if I have a spot of gull poop on the bow.

It?s a boat or crying out load. I don't dry my wife off and cover her up when she gets wet; I'm sure as heck not wiping down a boat and putting a cover on it every time it gets wet. :D:D

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

UV will have at the gelcoat and make it go chalky, so a good waxing may be in order once in a while.
I envy you having such a clean spot for your boat. My lift shows nice in pictures but adjacent poplar trees are a nightmare in spring. I'm covering until I figure out a roof that won't be a bird and spider sanctuary.