Lower gears worn down due to low oil

BamaBoater44

Cadet
Hey all,

I have a mercruiser Alpha 1 that is in the shop. I had some trim problems on the water and was forced to run the prop while it was halfway in the water. Figured out it was the trim limit switch. However, doing so caused the gears in the lower to be completely worn down. The mechanic that looked at it said that it was low on fluid. I had my boat winterized by the same mechanic and this was the first time I took it out on the water since it was winterized. If there is no fluid leaks, would it be reasonable to assume that the mechanic did not put enough fluid in when he changed the fluids? And, if so, should he be held accountable, at least partly, for the gears wearing down?

Thanks!

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lower gears worn down due to low oil

Well running with the prop half out is not good, and seems like it must have been close to the trailer position that high up. Can damage U joints and gimbal bearing too. Regarding the mechanic, I guess it depends on what he did for the winterization? You may have leaked the lube into the water. I am sure you know it would have been better to get a tow than run it the way it was but what's done is done. It will not hurt to ask him about it, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Hey all,

I have a mercruiser Alpha 1 that is in the shop. I had some trim problems on the water and was forced to run the prop while it was halfway in the water. Figured out it was the trim limit switch. However, doing so caused the gears in the lower to be completely worn down.
none of that makes any sense.

If the drive is low on fluid, the upper bearings and gears will be damaged, not the lower.

The trim issue and running tilted had NOTHING to do with it. A Mercruiser drive can run at any angle - sideways, horizontal.... unless you were upside down... not part of the lower unit failure

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Howard Sterndrive said:
If the drive is low on fluid, the upper bearings and gears will be damaged, not the lower

Agreed... it would have to have no oil in it for the lowers to go.

bamaboater44 said:
gears in the lower to be completely worn down

What are your symptoms here. Gearsets don't get worn down unless the clearence wasn't set right from the get go. When gears go bad, they chip/crack/split but they don't "wear".

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How about a picture of the gears. I would bet you are talking about the gears in the upper and you took the cap off to look. But referring to the complete outdrive as the lower.

PS: The trim limit switch has nothing to do with putting the drive down.

BamaBoater44

Cadet

The boats is at the shop, so I don't have any pictures. I think I misspoke. It is upper gear on the lower assembly. The mechanic took the lower drive compeletely off the boat and took the cap off to show me the damage to the gear. All the teeth were basically worn off one one of the gears. I never had any problems of slipping or anything. I can only assume that all the damage was caused with running with the prop up. Wouldn't think it would cause that much damage if it was lubricated, but could understand that wear if no oil was on the gear.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

44593f1f.jpg

BamaBoater44

Cadet

Howard, that was my thought process too. I know I screwed up running it with the prop stuck in the up position, but I don't think the damage that was done could have been caused by doing that unless it was severely lacking fluid. The teeth were completely shaved down on one of the gears.

I feel like I am at the mercy of the mechanic now. I told him that I trust him to let me know if they were at fault, once he tests for any leaks, and that I expect him to own up to it if it was caused by his guys not putting enough fluid in when they winterized it. I'm looking at about a $1,000, otherwise.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

you can buy a brand new drive for about $1300 with a 3 year "no fault" warranty..
....just sayin'