Gaps between hull and floor (Fiberglas Rookie)

wguttrid

Seaman
Hey guys getting ready to glass the stringers, frames and floor back in. Things are pretty much ground down to where I want them just need to clean up and wipe down with acetone.

This will be my first time ever using polyester resisn and fiberglass and have one small question.

I have a good 1/4" gap around the floor to hull joint except one section that is about 12" long where I have anywhere from 1/2" to 1". Not cutting a new section of the floor so was wondering what is the best way to span this gap. I know I will need to create a putty and make fillets around this edge before I put the final fiberglass sheath on.

If I make a thick putty mixture will I be able to work this gap or span this gap?

wguttrid

Seaman
Re: Gaps between hull and floor (Fiberglas Rookie)

O should I just cut up some foam and place in the gap and fillet over this?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

all you are really looking for is a backing pad to glass over in that situation.

u can use some expanding foam...you can take some chopped strand matt and wet ti with resin and just make a "bridge" wait till that goes hard then putty and glass over it.

cheers
oops

w,

You should fill and filet that gap using a PB mix. Use a little more milled fibers and/or 1/4" fibers for a stronger fill and joint. It may take two applications in the large gap but it will hold up much better in the long run.