grease gimbal

walleye seeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
what zirk fitting is for greasing my gimbal bearing. I found all the ones on the outdrive outside of boat. but can only find 1 inside the boat. looks like it is the coupler i have greased.

Alpha 1 gen 1

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: grease gimbal

It's on the outside of the boat, starboard side of the transom shield, a little over halfway down and up close to the transom.
Couplers on the Gen I drives do not have grease zirks, you must pull the drive yearly and grease the splines.

walleye seeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's on the outside of the boat, starboard side of the transom shield, a little over halfway down and up close to the transom.
Couplers on the Gen I drives do not have grease zirks, you must pull the drive yearly and grease the splines.

Thanks i got it.

If there isnt a grease fitting on gen 1 drives for the couplers what is it then i greased on the inside of the boat it does spin when the engine is running. The motor is a 2003 that come off a alpha gen 2 came with coupler and i dont remember changing it. could i have a gen1 drive with a gen 2 coupler

Don S

The motor is a 2003 that come off a alpha gen 2

There's your answer, you have a newer engine and coupler. You didn't say that before.

oldjeep

Admiral

Is the coupler supposed to be greased with the same grease (merc - Gimbel/ujoint grease)? or is it supposed to be the 2-4-C?

I've got to tackle this on my 05 Bayliner this week.

Don S

You need to start a thread of your own with your question.

oldjeep

Admiral

You need to start a thread of your own with your question.

I can just look in the manual - more curious for the guy who already did it since it sounds like he used the grease he intended for the gimbel on the shaft