cracked cylinder head

cmt82

Cadet
my 90hp 2003 blows white .is it possible to have a cracked cylinder head even though the plugs look normal and i have compression on all 3 cylinders?

dbrew

Seaman Apprentice
Re: cracked cylinder head

its possible, but i would check and make sure your gas doesnt have any water first. how long has it been doing it? also are any of the plugs super clean.

cmt82

Cadet

the gas is from last year.i did put stabilizer in it.the plugs have light coat of oil on them.they dont seem steam cleaned.i installed water separator on it last week.havent had it in the water yet.just the muffs in the driveway.

dbrew

Seaman Apprentice

i would try and put new gas in it and give it a try might as well start at the cheapest things first it might take a few minutes to use all the old gas so after 4-5 min if it is still doing it we can rule out the gas

sschefer

Rear Admiral

While it is possible to have cracked a cylinder head, your heads and cylinders are one piece and cast as part of the block with sleeves in them. The piece your thinking is the cylinder head is just a cover and even if its weeping water out the spark plug holes it would not be the source of water intrusion.

The most common place for intrusion to occur on the IL3 and IL4 is the exhaust plate on the side of the engine.

On the off chance that you did crack a cylinder head you'll need to tear the engine down and have it welded.

cmt82

Cadet

If it turns out to be the exhaust plate,how do you repair something like that?