Motor stops

MelodyBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I have a 2009 Q5i SF. Recently when shifting into neutral the motor stopped before I could shift into reverse. This has happened occasionally when docking.

Has anyone experienced this sort of problem or know what the cause is?

Thanks!

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Motor stops

Sounds like your neutral interrupt switch needs lubricating/adjusting. The neutral interrupt switch is designed to interrupt the ignition momentarily while shifting our of gear to ease the effort of shifting the gears into neutral. If the mechanism sticks it'll stall the engine.

MelodyBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply. Is this something that I can tackle on my own or should I bring it back to my dealer?

Also, if this is not fixed can it cause more damage down the road?

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Isn't it still under warranty? It's a PITA to get to. It's behind the engine - attached to the shift cable. I'ts not causing any damage - just aggravating for you to have to restart the engine. It may get worse and stick in the off position - preventing any restart! If so moving hte shift control to reverse and forward a few times may free it up.

Go to the Mercruiser section and look at the sticky 's at the top to download the proper manual... you need Mercruiser Sterndrive Manual 14 Aplha I Gen II Look in section 4. You can also do a search on shift interrupter - lots of info in the Mercruiser section.

Good Luck

MelodyBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After looking at the thread you supplied I'll definitely get my dealer to look at it since it's still under warranty.

You hit the nail on the head that it's a PITA since it always happens when docking! Very frustrating to say the least when you have an audience on the dock watching you and your engine cuts out....

Sounds at if this is a very common problem.

vamanos

Seaman

Can you just disconnect the switch? Mine was not connected, but some zealous mechanic reconnected it when he had the engine out. It was doing fine before---not stalling at all.

Having an audience in this stalling constantly situation is ridiculously embarrasing and dangerous.

jrampey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes you can disconnect the switch... but its there for a purpose. To ease shifting into neutral. Without it do you have a hard time shifting into neutral?

vamanos

Seaman

I don't remember difficulty in shifting to neutral. However, the throttle lever is very stiff making any knid of move rev fwd or neutral and always has been. Can this movement in the cable be lubricated? What precautions should I take if I do disconnect the interupt switch?

The stalling is dangerous if you have some momentum and the engine won't restart for a while.