Wrong Way Control

dsmoker62

Cadet
I had a 2002 Mercury 4 Stroke 50 HP put on my boat with mercury side controls I got on EBAY The motor runs great but when I put in forward it goes backwards and reverse goes forward. Is their a way to chage something so it goes the right way?
Thanks

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Wrong Way Control

I had a 2002 Mercury 4 Stroke 50 HP put on my boat with mercury side controls I got on EBAY The motor runs great but when I put in forward it goes backwards and reverse goes forward. Is their a way to chage something so it goes the right way?
Thanks

Is the throttle backwards too? If not then you either have the shift cable in the wrong holes or it's the wrong control for your engine. Some of the controls are universal and switchable from port to starboard so there's a lot of different combinations. Sometimes you get lucky and get it after the first move other times it's a chore.

dsmoker62

Cadet

my control is a Mercury control side mount what would I check to switch cable position in the box?
Dean

sschefer

Rear Admiral

my control is a Mercury control side mount what would I check to switch cable position in the box?
Dean

On the back side of the control there should be several positions to mount the cables. Many times they are marked for specific motors. I've got shop cleanup tonight but if I get a chance I'll look through my cd manuals and see if I can find a page for the controls.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

dsmoker62

Cadet

Jacket4life It sounds the same My motor is a newer 2002 4 stroke 50 hp bought from a marine shop. They installed the motor and controls for me. They think my controls are wrong and want me to bring it my local dealer to get checked out. I have played with the cables without much sucsess. The marine shop says it it the control box I bought on E Bay but it is a mercury box that is like new. I am lost.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Remove the motor cowling. Move the control from neutral into forward. The shift lever should move first and in the forward direction. Next the throttle lever will move back. if there is deviation from this sequence, the controls are wrong or set up incorrectly. If this sequence is correct, the shift shaft on the motor is mis-aligned.

dsmoker62

Cadet

The Motor I have is a 2002 Mercury 50 ELPTEFI Serial number OT536865.
The controls I have are Mercury Marine Assembled in mexico RC 881170A15
S/N=118

Will they work togeather?

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

It should. I know it will take a few minutes, but read the whole thread I posted for you. Chris and aChris are who helped me fix mine. If you will read the whole thing and do the same steps I did, you can probably fix it. They started by telling me how to verify the controller was set up correctly....I really think if you'll read the whole thing it will help you at least verify where the problem is.

dsmoker62

Cadet

I have read it it is helpful i am just trying to make sure it is not the control box. I called Mercury and gave them the control box numbers and my motor numbers they said my controler should work fine they emailed me directions on how to conect cables with the proper position. All looks good. now to check the lower unit.
Thanks
Dean

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Even within brands, some controls "push" to operate the throttle while others "pull" to operate the throttle so you have to have the correct box. To make matters more confusing, some boxes can be switched and others cannot.

dsmoker62

Cadet

Silvertip
When I called Mercury Marine direct they said my controls were right for my motor. The E Mailed me instruction for proper connection. The controls look fine. So I wanted to check lower unit like suggested when I looked at lower unit there is 3 bolts up from bottom and one bolt hole with no bolt. I this normal, or does this tell me the unit has been off and not put back properly?
Thank Dean

nosgsxr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

you could have a LH rotation lower unit or prop....i had this problem on a 150 i bought used and wasn't told....it was a pain in the butt till i set down and thought about it......check out the prop and lower unit cause u just never know what other people do to outboards...

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like your missing a fastener. If thats the case someone could have taken the lower unit apart and mis-aligned the shift-shaft.. If you drop the lower unit, turn the shift-shaft until you find forward(prop turns freely one way, locked the other. One click CCW and you should be in neutral. One more CCW and you should have reverse(prop locked both directions). Now, return the gearcase to neutral, verify your topside linkage is in neutral and re-install the lower unit. I hope this helps.

dsmoker62

Cadet

Thanks for all you help. I am trying to do all this with a hand I just had surgery on so it is slow I will let you know how I make out.
Thanks

dsmoker62

Cadet

I dropped the lower unit move the shift shaft to neutrel and reinstalled the lower unit but nothing changed it still is backwards. Do I have to move the long shift rod position? If so how do you do this. Or do I have to get into the gears?
Dean

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds frustrating, but your getting there. When you push the control box into forward, does the shift block on the engine also move forward?. If your pushing the lever forward and the shifter is moving backward, you definately have something wrong.

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

I dropped the lower unit move the shift shaft to neutrel and reinstalled the lower unit but nothing changed it still is backwards. Do I have to move the long shift rod position? If so how do you do this. Or do I have to get into the gears?
Dean

You don't just need to find neutral, you already could put it in neutral. You need to turn the shift shaft CCW until you find REVERSE. When you find reverse, if you "click" back CW you should be in neutral, then another "click " CW should give you forward. THEN go back CCW to neutral and reinstall.

And NO, you don't need to mess with the upper shift shaft.

Best piece of advice I can give you right now is to buy a sevice manual if you intend to keep working on it yourself. It will help you ENORMOUSLY to understand how things work in your motor. That's the absolute best advice I've been given on here for sure.