No water from pee hole at idle

Don Henseler

Recruit
i have a 2001 merc 90 that the water does not come out of the pee hole at idle. Comes out fine under load. checked for blockage and saw none any ideas

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: No water from pee hole at idle

When was the water pump impeller last replaced?

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

And where were you running it when you noticed this? IF it was in a tank or on muffs, it may not "pee" much at idle, mine doen't, even with a rebuilt water pump and new impeller.

Even so, if your impeller is over a year old, you need a new one.

Yes, you'll have to pull your lower unit and check/replace your impeller. I'll bet the impeller is half gone or more. Do not run it until you find out the cause, Head and cylinder damage can happen pretty quickly if you're running hot. The cooling systems on these are pretty simple, and doing it yourself will let you understand how the whole system works. Easy job.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The first thing to check is the pee line itself. It could be clogged (partially). This same thing happened to my engine. There was some debris lodge at the pee orifice. I took a small piece of wire and cleared it.

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I kinda sorta have the same problem. When I first start the motor, it takes a minute or so before the engine starts peeing. If I give it a lil gas, it starts and pee's just fine. Under way it also pee's fine. I'm changing the impeller anyway, so I didn't put much worry into it. Thinking about spending the extra $$$ and going with neoprene instead of rubber.