Motor Up or Down Between Uses

Motor Up or Down Between Uses

• Total voters

kyudizky

Seaman
What do you do and why?

Do you leave your outboard trimmed up with the transom saver bracket on or tilt it down, and if down, all the way down or just till the motor is perpindicular to the ground?

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Motor Up or Down Between Uses

Down to take the stress off the transom and enough to drain it fully. If it's outside in the winter it's tucked all the way down and under so water doesn't accumulate and freeze in the hub.

Down to take the stress off the transom and enough to drain it fully. If it's outside in the winter it's tucked all the way down and under so water doesn't accumulate and freeze in the hub.

Same here, mines all the way down and covered in the winter, otherwise down enough to fully drain in the summer.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

All the way down, but its stored in its slip between uses.

All the way down, when I store it for the winter

Half way up when trailering because I cannot tow it with it in the full down position.

capslock118

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you consider 'not in use' to mean the boat sitting at the slip, then I would say it's up all the way.

If on shore, it's all the way down.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

If you consider 'not in use' to mean the boat sitting at the slip, then I would say it's up all the way.

If on shore, it's all the way down.

Haven't seen too many boats with transom savers on them at the docks.

Well, there was that one time that the guy launched the boat and trailer but I don't think that counts. I have seen a few on the ground at the docks though.

:D:D:D

Fun Times

Staff member

You really should store the motor in the down position because the rams on the trim and tilt system will be exposed to the elements, So with it up you could get some dirt built up on the shafts, So when you lower the motor down the next time, the dirt could catch on the seals and damage the seals, Then you will have a oil leak on the trim system. Also the prop shaft seal could go dry with all the gear oil towards the front of the lower unit, Plus when it rains water will normally collect in the lower unit exhaust area, and could cause some damage the lower unit gear housing when the water freezes. Also it will help reduce the pressure on the transom assembly area, Among a list of some other things that could happen when it's up.;):)

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class

All the way down so I can get the boat in the garage.

turbinedoctor

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stored in the garage but still all the way down to make sure it drains well after flushing.

Bumpus7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If my boat is in the water I raise it all the way up when not in use, because it is in brackish water with barnacles, and I don't need them clogging everything up.

In the winter it is left out side on a trailer, and not in the water,
so I leave it all the way down, so water drains out and won't freeze in motor.

RRitt

Captain

down.
the engines are down when I pull up to my dock. Down when i turn the lift off. Down when finish with the muffs. In fact, I can't remember the last time they were up. Maybe when we beached at picnic island? If nothing else, I am consistently lazy. If I trailer then up enough to keep prop safely out of harms way but then back down onto a transom saver to prevent my trim system from popping seals if I hit a pothole.

Bifflefan

Commander

Gotta agree with that.
Also way less stress on the bellows.

Bifflefan

Commander

So with it up you could get some dirt built up on the shafts, So when you lower the motor down the next time, the dirt could catch on the seals and damage the seals,

Just FYI. hydraulic cylinders have a nifty little gizmo called a wiper before the seals just for this reason. Boats are not the only thing that us hydraulics.

RRitt

Captain

another FYI - this is a mercury sub forum. Mercury uses ATF. ATF has additives that shorten the life of rubber and high hydraulic pressures will accelerate the demise of your trim systems internal organs. More important than whether you are up or down is that you block the engine and/or release the pressure when in storage. Just make sure the last thing you do is a bump on the switch in a down direction. It will add years to the life of your trim system.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

All the way down so I can get the boat in the garage.

I have too futz with it to get it too clear the garage door too:) I have less than an inch to work with... Ha..

Jacket4life

Petty Officer 1st Class

another FYI - this is a mercury sub forum. Mercury uses ATF. ATF has additives that shorten the life of rubber and high hydraulic pressures will accelerate the demise of your trim systems internal organs. More important than whether you are up or down is that you block the engine and/or release the pressure when in storage. Just make sure the last thing you do is a bump on the switch in a down direction. It will add years to the life of your trim system.

My older Merc uses 30 wt. motor oil. Don't know about newer applications.

jasperpso2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i leave mine down on the pontoon, cause while on the trailer, the motor isnt any lower then the bottom of the pontoons. i used to tilt mine up on my old bayliner trophy bass, but i always thought it put more stress on the transom..

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I leave mine down as far as possible. It can't physically be put down all the way though, boat sits far too low on the trailer for that. I will be adding a transom saver soon though, so I will likely just leave the pressure on that when its on the trailer.

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fully down when stored. Resting on trailer support when traveling to and from. Per the operating manual.

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

Down when not in use so that fluids flow where they belong. Fuel in the carb bowl, water drained from cooling system.